PLESE HELP!!!! Chickens beak got bit off

Pics

tmlpike

Songster
6 Years
May 16, 2013
Canada
I am devastated. I got home from my grandparent and heard the chickens bawling very loud. I ran back to the pen and saw a chicken huddled in a corner. Her face had been so destroyed, I couldn't recognize who she was. I then discovered it was my sweet girl Fuzzy Bum. Fuzzy Bum is the toughest and fastest girl I know. She regularly flies out of the pen the eat the grass outside. She had been attacked in our bush, but she escaped and flew back in the pen. I looked for footprints and saw large dog footprints, leading to my neighbours house. My neighbour lets her large husky mix dog loose on a daily biases. This is the second chicken she has got. Since Fuzzy Bum is such a trooper, she made it through the night. She is very tired and cuddles her face into her back feathers. So, she was hurt pretty bad. Her beak is gone, her eyes are swollen shut and she has a small hole where her ear used to be. The bleeding seems to have stopped, but her berthing is somewhat heavy(Sorry for the bad quality picture)
. I know that I need a miracle, but so many people have been praying for Her. Anything is possible with God. Here is my question, what can I do to help her? She is isolated from the other chickens. How do I give her water or food?? I don't want to dip her beak in some water and then have the bleeding start again. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm desperate. I lover her so much <3

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your hen. I'm not sure anything can be done to help her--it depends on the extent of her injuries. From your picture it is hard to tell. You can learn to tube feed her, but doing that forever would be very difficult. Can you take her to a vet? You need to have the neighbor's dog kept away, and I would keep my chickens penned up until you find a solution, or you may lose more of your chickens.

Last edited:
Poor hen.
sad.png
I'm so sorry that this happened to you! Does it seem like there is enough of her beak left for her to grab things to eat and drink? Until she recovers a little more, I would suggest giving her water with an eye-dropper or syringe (just drip it on the beak, or pry open the beak and squirt some in) and possibly tube feeding her. Try giving her some soft foods, like moistened chicken feed, applesauce, or yogurt. Any treats she likes could also tempt her into trying to eat something on her own. Clean any wounds the best you can with some warm soapy water, and then apply antibiotic ointment, like neosporin, to the wounds.

Those wounds look pretty bad, but chickens are remarkable at healing themselves. I would just wait and see, and hope for the best.

I had something similar happen to one of my RIR hens and it took a wile for her to learn how to eat again but it is possible.....

I gave my hen Turkey Grow, chick feed and laying mash and rice that is about all she will ever be able to eat ......

But for right now give her some hard boiled egg's pealed and mashed with a fork she will love this and one a day for a week should really help her out ......

gander007
old.gif

My poor girl :( she saw some chicken food and tried to eat it, but as soon as "what's left of her beak" touched it, she backed away. I'm trying to give her some water through an eye dropper, but I'm not sure if I'm giving her enough. How much water should I give her? I tried giving her some pear sauce through the eye dropper, but she spits it out with her tounge. Her "beak" is in very bad shape, as you can see from the new picture I added. Would putting polysporin on it help? Will her beak heal and grow back? I feel so sorry for her. She seems to be walking around okay, but her eyes are still swollen shut. Thank you all for replying, your comments are greatly appreciated. <3 I'll try giving her mashed potatoes.

Yes I would also tube feed her. In a emergency you can use clean fish air hose as the tube.and get a food called exact from kaytee. I it has all the nutrition and things while she's healing. I'm sorry to say if you don't tube feed her I'm afraid she might not make it. You can go to the search in the forum and look up tube feeding it will show you exactly how to do it.don't be afraid to do it because this can save her life! I had to tube mine some months back and I know it's scarey at first but after a few times you will be a pro. You Also might consider mixing a general anti infective like penicillin or such into the tube and give her doses of that or administer some la 200 in a injection.the antibiotic might help with infection and healing. I said a prayer for her. Try to give the supportive care she needs with tube feeding rest and possibly a antibiotic. Hopefully she will make it through. You will not be able to give her enough hydration and feed if you don't tube.so I would get what you need for that soon.i know her beak will be very sore but she will likely starve if not tubed.she is likely in shock so keep her warm and safe in a quiet area. I wish the very best for her and pray she heals. It's possible so don't give up. With some help from you hopefully she will heal.im so sorry this happened and I hope this helps some. GOD BLESS!

You've gotten lots of good advice from people much more experienced than me. I just wanted to say that I have seen evidence of some truly amazing healing on this forum, so I am hoping your girl can have one of those happy endings too. It's amazing how resilient these chickens can be. She looks like she's extremely sore, but at the same time, she must be a fighter to come through that attack. Sending you lots of healing thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom