Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

Pics

gladahmae

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Benzie, MI
Calling all Michigan hatchers? What's percolating in that incubator? Or, are you like me and are keeping the peace with your SO by WAITING UNTIL SPRING to bring full-on chick production on line?

What's in your 'bator?
What is your "project" for this year?
What are you DREAMING OF?

(RIP dear fluffy. You were a wonderful broody!)

sounds like fun! I wish I had the will-power to set that many! I "must" fill the incubator when I turn it on. So that means around 45 or so eggs.
lol.png
Good thing it's only that many because I've seen a few cabinet incubators on CL and I can only imagine the trouble I'd get into setting a couple HUNDRED eggs at a time!

I'm going to start things off easy this year and make sex-links. I have a nice, big wyandotte roo that we haven't really decided if he's splash or washed out blue. Either way, I'm going to put him over my barred rock pullets and my cuckoo marans hen and get blue (and black if the roo is blue) sex-links. (And then I'll have to decide if I want to use one of those cockerels for a wybar project or not.)

In a few months I've arranged to get a marans cockerel from Wynette to start my olive egger project. I'm going to put THAT one over my Ameraucana pullets, and my EE pullet that out-lays everything in my coop! Her egg isn't BIG, but I get one nearly every day, and she only took a 3 week break to molt!

Of course, none of that will be happening until April. I might see if I can sneak a load of eggs into the incubator before we go on vacation so I have the first half out of the way without being home to hover.

Last year I acquired some black copper marans and a splash roo. My hope is to hatch some Blue Copper Marans this year. I have 10 of their eggs that will be going in the bator tomorrow. I also picked up another 15 marans eggs that will be joining them. Cant wait to see some blue chicks.

Am dreaming of BCM and/or blue egg layers....but....just don't have the funds for BCM...and having trouble finding local hatching eggs.
Brighten up my basket and start a basis for olive eggers.
Want to set a batch early Febdruary, am borrowing an incubator, may just have to set some of my own mixed mutts as I want a few more layers crankin' out eggs by fall.

...just don't have the funds for BCM...and having trouble finding local hatching eggs.
If you want a slightly darker brown layer check out Amber Links from Townline. Not as dark as a marans, but definitely darker than your average brown egg. I'll see if I can snap a pic comparing the 2 i have later.

it's better to start with your own eggs before shipped eggs (if you end up going that route). I wish I would have listened to the people that had told me that last year! Would have saved a lot of money!

Am dreaming of BCM and/or blue egg layers....but....just don't have the funds for BCM...and having trouble finding local hatching eggs.
Brighten up my basket and start a basis for olive eggers.
Want to set a batch early Febdruary, am borrowing an incubator, may just have to set some of my own mixed mutts as I want a few more layers crankin' out eggs by fall.
where are you located? IF his hatch goes well, I can probably hook you up with a BCM or two

If you want a slightly darker brown layer check out Amber Links from Townline. Not as dark as a marans, but definitely darker than your average brown egg. I'll see if I can snap a pic comparing the 2 i have later.

it's better to start with your own eggs before shipped eggs (if you end up going that route). I wish I would have listened to the people that had told me that last year! Would have saved a lot of money!
Yeah, I've got some feelers out for other darker egg layers locally...... BCM's and real Ameraucanas are just the dream....sigh.
Not a great time to look for hatching eggs if folks aren't using lights tho, plus the freezing weather if folks aren't collecting several times a day.

I won't be doing any hatching until later in the spring. First to test out my own Araucana eggs, then to hatch eggs from other breeders.

I have a wine cooler fridge (clear door) that will be an incubator eventually. I have all the parts to make it an incubator, just no the motivation yet. Work and school keeps me occupied and I'm exhausted when I get to free time.

Back
Top Bottom