TS's Dumor Feeds (3) -Chick starter/grower, Grower/Finisher, and Layer

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
I'm confused about Dumor feed that I get from Tractor Supply.
We were feeding our what are now 16-week-old chickens Tractor Supply"s Dumor Chick Starter/Grower.

The back of the sack shows three levels:
A) Weeks 1-10 Starter/Grower 20% Protein.
B) Weeks 10-18 Grower/Finisher 15% Protein
C) Weeks 18 on Layer 16% Protein

Because of what it said on the back of the sacks and what the sales clerk said, we've had them on B) Weeks 10-18 Grower/Finisher 15% Protein for about a month.

I just now read on another post that they should be kept on Starter/Grower until they start laying and then be put on Layer. On another post it sounded like "Grower/Finisher" is strictly for meat birds. Is that right? Should I switch them back to A) Starter/Grower until they start laying?

Last edited:
i also buy my chicken food from the tractor store....i am now using laying crumble as most of my birds are of laying age. she just started...i mix it with chick starter cause i have a young turkey and peachick so i guess they are getting what they need. she is laying and they are eating and pooping fine.....ronnie:th

Quote:
Thanks, but my main question was:
Should I continue giving my 16-week-old future layers the B) Weeks 10-18 Grower/Finisher 15% Protein or is that strictly for MEAT BIRDS? Should I go back to A) Weeks 1-10 Starter/Grower 20% Protein and use it until they lay their first egg?

Last edited:
We have gotten mixed advice about feeding also. So we went with the starter for the first 11 weeks. We give them scraps too.
We were told the older the chickens are, the less protein they need.
We have a week's supply left of the starter and then will go for the grower until the first egg, then layer pellets.

To answer your ?, I would continue w' the finisher grower until the first egg. IMHO

You will find many mixed ideas, both here and in books, on the internet.

all i have available from the mill is starter/grower and layer, is it ok to stick with starter/grower till they lay? also if my ee starts laying weeks before my rir then what?

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I'll do. They seem to be doing fine on it; there are only a few weeks before they start laying, so I might just as well use the almost-full bag until it's gone and hope they're laying by then.

My 6 chicks have been on starter/grower for 9 weeks and they ate all I put out down to the dust...especially in the morning even though there was a full feeder in their coop overnight. I started grower/finisher week 10 and they barely touch it. They prefer to peck the dirt. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Back
Top Bottom