what parts of the corn plant can chickens eat

jk47

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
CA
im growing corn and can I feed the stalks and leaves to the hens and will it matter if its fresh or dried and if so how do I need to processes it in any way

Not sure of the value of corn stalks or leaves as fodder, haven't really heard of anyone doing that.

If the stalks were cut to chaff, maybe they'd be useful roughage, but maybe they'd be better litter for the floor. Chaff is often dangerous though. The leaves they might eat fresh, but it's not really the most normal chicken fodder, and dried it could clog up their guts with excessive fiber and kill them. Might be better nesting material if dried.

I would do some searches on corn leaves and stalks as animal fodder before I fed it to them, personally. Maybe someone already knows this info off by heart and can help you more than I can.

Chickens can eat the corn kernels, and mine will eat the corn silk. I let them, since it's not poisonous and they seemed to like it. I was a little worried about them choking though, so if you decide to let your birds eat corn silk you should rip it up into smaller pieces to minimize the risk of choking.

As for the corn leaves/corn stalks, I've never heard of anyone using them in relation with chickens. I've shown my chickens corn leaves after washing them, but they never show any interest in the leaves and always eat the kernels first.

im growing corn and can I feed the stalks and leaves to the hens and will it matter if its fresh or dried and if so how do I need to processes it in any way
Process and grind the dried corn stalks, fodder, shucks and cobs together, then mix in some molasses and add corn chops. Then store the feed in such a manner that it will go through a natural "heat" or fermentation process. After sufficient time has elapsed to render the corn by products concoction palatable, feed it to a member of the bovine family.

Then allow the north end of the bovine to chew the corn plant by products over and over while her 4 guts takes turns converting it into a wet, somewhat sticky green material. When the corn plant by product is done it will automatically exit from the south end of the cow and at this point it is almost the perfect chicken feed. It is fresh, 100% natural, organic, loaded with minerals, vitamins, protein, and chopped full of cute little wiggly squiggly things. Honest, there is no finer organic chicken food on the face of the Earth than fresh cow manure. How do you think Dr. Zuess keep himself in green eggs and ham for all these years?

I found that my birds don't care for them, and they are not picky eaters. Although after letting the stocks dry I ran them through a cheep Branch Chipper from HarborFreight and it made for nice bedding. Oh and they love picking at the left over cobs. But I'd bet you knew that.

My chickens love corn on the cob, silks and all. Seems to have no problems. Play with the stalks and seems to be ok. i was told it made them too hot so i don't know if that is a problem. Maybe put in frig first.

So I would think the best & safest way to go is just to let them pick the pieces of corn left in the cob after you strip the kernels off to can or freeze?
Ideas please? Thank you.

So I would think the best & safest way to go is just to let them pick the pieces of corn left in the cob after you strip the kernels off to can or freeze?
Ideas please? Thank you.

Yes, just throw the cobs to them and let them pick off what they want. We do that with any we strip to freeze AND those we eat off the cob.

Back
Top Bottom