Help me legalize chickens in West Chicago, IL!

noel miller

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 14, 2014
If you live in the city of West Chicago and are interested in keeping chickens, join me in my efforts to get backyard flocks legalized! I'm working to get a group of people to push for an amendment and could use your help!

I am interested in having chickens in west chicago. I live by St Charles and they can have them.

Hi Rhinere! Thanks for the reply! Right now I am just gathering the names of people who are interested in getting the current chicken ordinance changed. If you give me your email address, I will add you to an email list, and once I feel I have enough people to actually get something done, I will start sending emails so that we can get the ball rolling!

Thanks!
Noel

If you hover over my name you'll be able to see drop down menu where you can send me a PM (private message). I emailed the head of the garden club and he promised to forward the message to two members that he thought might be interested (haven't heard back anything yet, though) and I know of a couple moving to west chicago soon who are also interested in having chickens. I emailed someone in community development a while ago, and he said he thought they were unlikely to look into changing the ordinance at this time, but of course I was just one person asking, and I know it tends to be an unpopular idea. I'm hoping to be able to organize some kind of petition to show them that there are more people interested in keeping chickens. My next step is to hopefully make some fliers to post around at places where interested people might see them (garden and feed stores etc.) with my email so that I can get more people hopefully willing to help.

How are your efforts going?
I'm very interested in having a small flock of hens for eggs in my back yard.
Please add me to your list.

I don't know if people are still interested in keeping chickens in West Chicago but if you are I want to help. The city recently discovered mine that I've had for over 5 years so I have to give them up. I would like to have the ordinance changed so I can have them again in the future. In the time I've had them I have never had any complaints from anyone and people enjoyed fresh eggs. There are others in my neighborhood as well that have them and it would be a shame if the city has them all removed. If people are still interested, let me know.

I would like to help you.
What have you done so far?
Have you contacted other towns that have changed the ordinance?
Could you let me know where your at in the process?

I just found this thread this past Saturday, so as far as i am concerned it is at square one. I would like to make some notices and put them up at Bob's salt and feed possibly and Trellis in St. Charles to try and reach more people. I'm thinking that is a good way to start.

Back
Top Bottom