Need help with my sick chick please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GibsonChicks4U

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 20, 2014
Porter Texas
I have a chick who will not stand to eat or drink she lays down all the time and if she moves she scoots, she will eat and drink but only when I move her to it or do so manually. Any thought she laying down and will have like one foot out and a wing out

I have a newborn doing the same thing. Scooting around on it's butt. The legs aren't normal and it will probably never walk. But I see no need to separate mine. It's not a disease that others will catch. And the other chicks snuggle up with it when they sleep. If they are going to have a short life we might as well make it pleasant.

That's good that it can stand. I just sprinkle food in front of it and mine will nibble a little. But I'm not having much luck getting him to drink.
One thing that chicks do like is scrambled egg mashed up real fine. Sometimes they will eat that when they won't eat anything else.
I have had chicks that were just lazy and would rather eat sitting down.
hmm.png

If it doesn't improve then I guess you'll have to make the decision about whether to keep a crippled chicken or put it down. I kept one for 2 years until it died. She wasn't able to walk at all but I built a little high chair so she could exercise her legs and she laid on her side the rest of the time in a cage. She went on camping trips with us and the kids all loved her because they could carry her around and play with her. But it's like having a helpless baby around that never grows up. I don't regret keeping her but not everyone would want to do it. It's a tough decision that I wouldn't wish for anyone.
sad.png

I have a chick who will not stand to eat or drink she lays down all the time and if she moves she scoots, she will eat and drink but only when I move her to it or do so manually. Any thought she laying down and will have like one foot out and a wing out

Do you know if your chick was vaccinated for Mareks? Those are the exact symptoms of Mareks disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom