CREATE YOUR OWN BREED OF CHICKEN

Pics

Corny Caleb

Songster
5 Years
Jan 25, 2014
NJ
This thread is for people (like me) who like to think-up cool and original hibrid chicken breeds by crossing breeds that already exist. For example... Silver laced polish, and silver phoenix...frizzled. Resulting in a long-tailed crested frizzled!. You can choose up to 3 different chicken breeds. Just type out the features of your "dream bird", and HAVE FUN!

HELLO Caleb!! I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry that no none has posted in this thread.... I don't know much about chickens, which is why i joined BYC, lol . but if you could give me some info... that would be AWESOME : )

---Anika
ok....um, I'll try to think about a chicken fact......oo ooo. ok, I got one, girl chickens actually lay eggs! not the boys : )

ok....um, I'll try to think about a chicken fact......oo ooo. ok, I got one, girl chickens actually lay eggs! not the boys : )

ha ha... I knew that already,... tell me something I DONT know... caleb... lol XD
gig.gif
!! I AM FUNNY2!!!

This thread is for people (like me) who like to think-up cool and original hibrid chicken breeds by crossing breeds that already exist. For example... Silver laced polish, and silver phoenix...frizzled. Resulting in a long-tailed crested frizzled!. You can choose up to 3 different chicken breeds. Just type out the features of your "dream bird", and HAVE FUN!

Nothing Cooler than a Crested Blue Sexlinked Olive egger

Blue Copper Maran rooster mated to a Cream Crested Legbar hen

Hi there!

I am interested..
Sooo you might mean something like taking chickens which usually have dominant genes muffs, beards and combs and developing the recessive genes so they are completely smooth headed and look more like Pigeons or Doves ?

cool.png

Okay...he is one that I was working on before I got rid of all my projects to focus on a single breed flock.

1) Andalusian Blue coloring with thick dark lacing
2) Blue feet, black beak, brown eyes, red face, blue ear lobes
3) Deep head, with Single Comb, Cresting, and well curved beak
4) Vulture hocks and feathered feet
5) Blue eggs
6) Downward sloping back
7) Prominant Breast
8) Long cuved tail at 45 deg.
9) moderate fluff
10) large wings
11) Long thighs
12) Well feathered hackle
13) Long well curved neck
14) hard feathers
15) four toes
16) no spurs on hens and only on spur (per shank) on the cockerels
17) 5-1/2 lbs hens, 7-1/2 lbs cocks.
18) Non-flighty
19) cold and heat hardy
20) good disease resistance and longevity
21) Moderate growth rates with good fleshing
22) Long keel that follows the line of the back
23) Deep and wide body
24) Non aggressive
25) good foragers
26) non-broody
27) clean faced

Foundation breeds would be Blue Silkie, Blue Breda, EE.

Last edited:
Sorry I couldn't get back to this thread sooner, life has a way of getting - in the way a lot. :)

GaryDean26,
OK! Now I have an idea of it. LOL! But after reading your description all I kind of see in my head is a picture which sort of looks like a Griffin! LOL! Take no offense please. I have never tried to develop a new breed and have absolutely no clue what would be involved. Or how long it would take. I have seen pics of Cream Legbars. I think they are very pretty. Never seen one in person though.

I do have a bird project though where I have tried to improve my flock for the things I like. Some of the items you have listed I also agree with and think are attractive. I have succeeded with some of my birds towards my goals. I also like;

1- Blue coloring with lacing.
2- Black beaks with black or dark violet eyes. Don't like the brownish so much.
3- No comb at all. Like a Dove's head. Skull more upward round that long like a collie dog head. Girls look feminine. Boys like boys.
4- No wattles. No muff or beard. All smooth feathered face. (What do you mean by deep head?)
5- Slate grey smooth legs. (My birds free range the whole property year round)
6- Blue or Mint green eggs
7- Sufficient breast
8- Short back with steep upward curve and short sassy tail feathers
9- Fluffy saddle area
10 thru 14 haven't cared about yet to busy with the above! :)
15- Four toes
16- No spurs on girls. Only on boys.
17- My boys are larger than my girls
18- Non-flighty and personable.
19- My birds do very well in heat and cold
20- Hearty free range with other livestock, exposed to a lot
21- Mine are tending to be slow to mature
22- Tall/deep? Keel so hatching eggs fit well along either side.
23- Deep and wide for boys, girls should look like girls
24- Assertive hens who will adamantly protect and defend their eggs and chicks. Roo's that will look for danger and protect their flock.
25- Forage (and beg for treats) very well
26- Definitely want broody to preserve natural instinctual and hormonal genetics so it will be role-modeled and passed on.
27- I have two sides to my project going. Muff and beard. And completely smooth faced. Girls looking like girls. Boys like boys.

Foundation breeds.. well, I have EE's with who knows what for a background and some Ameraucana so these would have to do
in that department. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom