goose laid her first egg

megansmum

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
hi, we bought 3 goslings in august last year.
We know we have 1 gander and 2 females, the problem we have is with a female.
On arriving back home today we saw her with something red hanging out her rear end.
Was it something prolapsed ?
It was and egg but it was still in a red sack and hanging there.
Surely something wrong, we held her and removed the egg and after a while she has gone back into pond.
This is her first egg.
Any advice greatly received,
Got box ready to go to vets with her, but if this is something that happens will feel a wally stood in vets.
Thought geese were like chickens and an egg just popped out.
HELP

You are right, it is not typical. It does sound like a prolapse. The prolapse may go in on its own, but if it is still sticking out, try to push the membrane back in her vent. I have never had a goose with a prolapse, but you could probably treat it like a chicken's prolapse like using preparation H. Keep an eye on her of course, because it could happen again with next egg. If it turns into a reoccurring event, then you may want to bring her to the vet.

I have never had this happen to any of my girls and it does not sound right. I would call the vets office and see if she needs help with this. I may be too late with this info for you. But this does not sound good to me...

Also let us know what happened.

Hi
So far, so good.
Hubby pushed prolapse back and put preparation h on her.
We put her to bed that night and hoped for the best.
She looks ok, eating, drinking and like nothing had happened to her.
Just hope if she lays again we dont get same problem.
Thanks for your help and will keep updating you on her

Hi
So far, so good.
Hubby pushed prolapse back and put preparation h on her.
We put her to bed that night and hoped for the best.
She looks ok, eating, drinking and like nothing had happened to her.
Just hope if she lays again we dont get same problem.
Thanks for your help and will keep updating you on her
Good news.. and
welcome-byc.gif

Hi, all good our goose has laid 3 eggs in total and eggs seem to be getting bigger.
She seems fine, wait and see if our other goose lays now.
New to having geese, just wondering what anybody else feed them on ?
We been told not to feed iceberg lettuce to them, wondered if any one else heard this ?

Hi, all good our goose has laid 3 eggs in total and eggs seem to be getting bigger.
She seems fine, wait and see if our other goose lays now.
New to having geese, just wondering what anybody else feed them on ?
We been told not to feed iceberg lettuce to them, wondered if any one else heard this ?
That's great news about your goose.
I feed an All Flock feed since i have chickens and ducks too, it's made by Purina called Flock Raiser and I think the reason some have said don't feed iceberg lettuce is because it's nutritional value isn't as high as romaine or other leafy greens. But no reason why they can't have any sometime I buy heads and hang them and watch everyone play lettuce tether ball they love it. I also do this with cabbage, I buy romaine and chopped greens too for the flock. What breed are your girls?

Like Miss Lydia said, hardly any nutritional value in iceberg lettuce.

However, it's a great source of pesticide residue ... another good reason to avoid feeding geese too much of it.

Hi, we have 2 embden (1 female, 1 gander) and 1 toulouse
Got more eggs than we know what to do with.
We also have a few chickens.
Not had any problems with egg laying since, thank goodness.
BUT woke up early and saw a fox so will have to secure our geese during summer months if they stay out.
At moment we lock them up every night in their shed.

Back
Top Bottom