Vegan And Vegetarian Chat Thread!

Are You A Vegan/Vegetarian For The Animals, Health Reasons Or Other?

• For The Animals

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Health

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Both Health And Animals

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

roostersandhens

Flap Your Wings!
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Saving Battery Hens at Happy Hen Chicken Rescue in
My Coop
My Coop
On this thread you can chat about anything vegan or vegetarian. BYC does have a rule against talking about animal rights stuff, so try to keep that out of the discussions so the thread is not closed. You can post vegan/vegetarian recipes, etc. You can simply state why your a vegan. If you are a vegan or vegetarian due to animal rights reasons, just say you are a vegan or vegetarian for the animals, and don't go into details about factory farming or anything. I personally am a vegan for the animals and have no problem with talking animal rights, but the BYC staff has rules, and we must follow all BYC rules.
Thread Rules
No Arguing
All BYC Rules Apply
If Someone Breaks A BYC Rule Please Report The Post To Staff
And Have Fun!
Sorry if it seems like I am being super strict about the rules, I just really would like this thread to have no arguments, or have anyone break a BYC rule. But, still have fun!

I have been a vegetarian for 26 years, strictly for the animals. With the exception of my own rescued hens' unfertilized eggs and the occasional dairy product at family gatherings, I eat no other animal products. Nor do I wear them. It was difficult enough for my family to deal with a vegetarian. They certainly can't deal with a vegan! BUT, I am the healthiest and slimmest member of my family, immediate and extended. I come from chubby genes and those who are in good shape have to work their butts off to stay that way. Otherwise my family members are consistent meat eaters and overweight with some type of comorbidity.

I have been a vegetarian for 26 years, strictly for the animals. With the exception of my own rescued hens' unfertilized eggs and the occasional dairy product at family gatherings, I eat no other animal products. Nor do I wear them. It was difficult enough for my family to deal with a vegetarian. They certainly can't deal with a vegan! BUT, I am the healthiest and slimmest member of my family, immediate and extended. I come from chubby genes and those who are in good shape have to work their butts off to stay that way. Otherwise my family members are consistent meat eaters and overweight with some type of comorbidity.
My husband is on a really restricted diet and cannot eat very many if any 'animal products'. He is very slim now and his health has improved so much since he has been on this diet. He does eat egg whites, goat cheese (very little) and sometimes a little bit of chicken (1 small piece 2x a month maybe) He cannot eat wheat, cow dairy products, nuts, spices, condiments, fats, egg yolks, or any red meat, cured meat, or any citrus, no caffeine, no alcohol, no sweets made with eggs, dairy or wheat. No vinegars or salad dressings, no onions or garlic, no mint. I think the hardest thing for him to give up was my country potato salad. The doctor told him at his last appointment to 'focus on what you can eat' well we thought that was funny because there is like 4 things left...however with all the vegetarian and vegan diets being so popular he does have LOTS of options. So thank you to all the people who have made this a more popular life choice because there are aisles of choices at the super markets and food co ops now!. Last week someone posted a recipe for blueberry bread that looks wonderful. She posted the list of ingredients for it and there wasn't one listed that I couldn't find a substitute for in the vegan/vegetarian isle, egg substitutes, vegan 'butter' almond milk, wheat replacement grains, honey for the sugar (because wheat replacements make a 'dryer' batter and need more liquids. Mix all the ingredients before you put it in the oven and let it 'rest' for about 15 mins. so it doesn't have that 'different' taste to it. I am making it for him tomorrow. Thank you again. I will be watching this thread to get more ideas for him, and I will share ideas if I come across some good recipes too.

Just wondering how come vegans don't eggs and milk and such? Is that for health reasons?
Well, other then the fact that egg and dairy isn't the most healthy thing, it is also very inhumane for the animals. I am not going to go into details, but if you want to know why it is inhumane, you can do some research on egg and dairy farms.

Chickenboy190, I don't know what BYC rules are regarding animal rights issues, but you need to google dairy and egg farms. Typically dairy cows are more abused than beef cows and keep in mind that the veal industry is a direct result of the dairy industry. Eating eggs isn't the issue. The conditions under which the egg layers live is the issue. Again, I'm not sure how much is permissible under BYC rules so I can't say much.

In India, where many of the people are vegetarian they make cheese, paneer, using either lemon juice or vinegar instead of rennet, and very good it tastes too!

Back
Top Bottom