Our Quail Hatching Story

hiddenflock

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
The Great State of Texas
A few weeks ago, fifteen quail eggs that we ordered came in the mail!! We put them in a Hova-Bator incubator. Mid-incubation period, when we candled them, TWO of them were proven fertile...we THOUGHT. So far, quite a few of them probably are infertile, and one, on candling day, had a blood ring :(. And one of them we thought was infertile, but...yeah.
This afternoon, all of our quail chicks are hatching!!! About an hour ago, the first bust out, and now five of them are out! The brooder is all set up, and as soon as they're all dry, they're going in!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the quail hatch! What type of quail are you hatching? I keep Bobwhites. Very enjoyable to hatch these little birds. When you get pics, the folks in the quail section will love to see them!
smile.png

Thanks for the congrats :)! They are Italian quail :). We're going to eat the boys and the girls will be kept for breeding/eggs. They are fuzzy all over now!! It'll be time to but them in the brooder pretty soon...I'll admit that when the hatch began, I was paranoid that one would be weak, but that never happened, even though there is a smallish one. But they're all frisky and happy now! And jnk Farms, I'll get pictures up of the fuzzy babies in their brooder as soon as I can figure out how to do it (dang technology!). ;)

Quail are fun to keep. And your birds will mature quite fast and be laying at 8 or 9 weeks of age. You can turn these little guys around fast.

Good luck with your quail adventures!

Thanks TwoCrows!! We love our quail, they're so fun and cute...they're still in the incubator now, because they aren't wholly dry, but they'll be in the brooder soon. That's when I'll get pictures. They're all frisky and better than ever! ;)

Chicks are in the brooder!! :). And we officially have one male. I was leaning by the tank wall of the brooder, and one chick jumped up to try and attack my face through the glass! (I'll get pictures of the chicks up soon)

Just did an egg-taupsy on all the eggs that didn't hatch. It turns out that the ten of fifteen that didn't hatch were infertile. So that means that ALL the fertile eggs in our incubator got hatched!! We're so excited!!!

Back
Top Bottom