Horizontal Nipple Watering

Farm Scout

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
U.P., MI
Hi everyone. I have not even purchased my chicks yet and am only working off of what I've read or heard from others to prepare my "setup."

My main question is:

Will the watering nipples work if they were installed into the side of a bucket, thus pointing horizontally?

I'm thinking of using the "cookie tin" style heater with a bulb for the winter, and I really like the nipple watering concept. I'm picturing a concrete block (or bricks as a base), then the cookie tin, and then the bucket. However, the two do not mesh according to all the nipple installations I've seen. I understand that having the nipples on the side will allow some water to be left at the bottom of the pail, but I'm guessing (since I haven't seen one in person yet) that this is the case with the models I've seen online, since the nipple must stick up into the pail a little bit.

If they would not function horizontally, does anyone have any simple ideas for using the nipple system on a pail throughout freezing temperatures without running heat-tape or something like that? I'm trying to completely plan and prepare my coop (converted storage shed) before I go to pick up the chicks for the brooder.

Thank you for your time spent reading and/or responding in advance and thank you to everyone for all the great ideas, suggestions, and opinions posted on this site.

Thank you ChickenCanoe. I've looked for a couple days, and suddenly, with your confirmation that they exist, I'm finding pictures and such all over.

May I assume they'll work on a bucket then?

I'm thinking two sets would be nice. Haul a full one out in the morning, and collect the empty one to be refilled the next morning.

CHECK THAT. Solway shows exactly this setup.

If anyone has a strong opinion based on experience with this setup, do tell.

I've seen them on buckets.
On the last point, that's up to you and after you work with them a while you'll decide.
Unless you are talking about chicks with lights on the first week of life. You won't need to have water available at night since the chickens can't see at night and don't eat or drink in the dark.

I just purchased the horizontal nipples because the vertical nipples I was using kept freezing. I used a different bucket with these and put a stock tank heater in, safe for plastic, and they didn't freeze because they don't hold the water inside like the vertical ones, it's been very cold here and I will not use anything else. I got them from"all bout chickens"

I've used both the vertical and horizontal nipples. My vote is for the horizontal nipples...you get set the bucket down, less prone to freezing, less dripping during use. But we have a cross-beaked bird and she can't drink from the horizontal ones. She can drink from the vertical ones just fine. Right now I have both buckets hanging. They are drinking from both buckets, but more so from the vertical one because I think that's the one they most used to. Whenever it comes that we no longer have a cross-beaked bird, I'll switch to the horizontal nipples exclusively. Regardless though, any nipples are the way to go!

BTW, get one of these to hang your bucket with. This should be long enough for up to a 8-foot ceiling (maybe taller, depending on your size of birds) to hang a bucket from. It will make the guesswork of bucket height a lot easier. The clamp is more than strong enough to hold a 5-gallon bucket of water. This would be best for an area that doesn't get tons of direct sun (UV will corrode the nylon strap in a couple seasons or so), otherwise get a chain.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-3.../ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

pdirt:

Thanks for the info. on the nipples and the strap idea. I'm not usually using all the straps I have at one time, so there should be one in the garage (if I can find it).

Hi everyone. I have not even purchased my chicks yet and am only working off of what I've read or heard from others to prepare my "setup."

My main question is:

Will the watering nipples work if they were installed into the side of a bucket, thus pointing horizontally?

I'm thinking of using the "cookie tin" style heater with a bulb for the winter, and I really like the nipple watering concept. I'm picturing a concrete block (or bricks as a base), then the cookie tin, and then the bucket. However, the two do not mesh according to all the nipple installations I've seen. I understand that having the nipples on the side will allow some water to be left at the bottom of the pail, but I'm guessing (since I haven't seen one in person yet) that this is the case with the models I've seen online, since the nipple must stick up into the pail a little bit.

If they would not function horizontally, does anyone have any simple ideas for using the nipple system on a pail throughout freezing temperatures without running heat-tape or something like that? I'm trying to completely plan and prepare my coop (converted storage shed) before I go to pick up the chicks for the brooder.

Thank you for your time spent reading and/or responding in advance and thank you to everyone for all the great ideas, suggestions, and opinions posted on this site.

rich386 is the Solway Feeders US Rep. He has an ever growing selection of high quality poultry equipment on Ebay. Ck out his store or email [email protected] he will give you honest answers to any questions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221392072054?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Back
Top Bottom