New sex link

jjrj254

Songster
7 Years
Mar 29, 2013
So I tried to see if I could somehow make a new breed of chicken that would lay a lot of eggs while also being ornamental and able to sex the chicks by color. I experimented with a golden duckwing old English rooster and a barred rock hen. The resulta were all barred males with a long tail and less bulkier body and females are all black with a long tail, small body, cold and heat hardy and lay plenty of large brown eggs. I strongly recommend this combination!

Wow that is a real interesting project you got going on there. May I ask, are those characteristics only on first generation offspring? Or have you been able to get the same results with the offspring of the sexlinked hens?

I'm barely about to find out in a couple days I have some incubating at the moment, I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Currently I only have one hen, I sold all the rest but she lays once and rarely twice a day, everyday even during winters short days.

Dang if Only Silkies were good egg layers they would make for an Exceptional sexlink project, when crossed to just about any other breed with yellow shanks they make Sexlinks
You've got me talked into doing this! I'm looking for bantam cochin hens and trying to figure out what color silkie rooster to go with...oh and of course the pens to put them in
roll.png

Maybe a Cochin bantam rooster or a silkie crossed with a barred rock hen might do the trick

Crossing a Silkie with a Cochin and the sexlink offspring will probably lay like two eggs a year, the rest of the time it'd be broody! I mean if super broody is what you going for then that cross its exellent.
I wonder tho if there is a way to breed for a Silkie like hen but with the egg laying habits of a mmmm lets say a Leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom