Looking for Baby (Cygnet) Swans to replace our Fallen Angel - Any Help Appreciated!!

mikelaka

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
I live in Dyer, Indiana on a 13 acre lake. I woke up this morning to learn that I had lost a white mute adult swan. We've had 2 male swans for over 6 years and have never had a problem. I have a bubbler in the lake all winter and I feed the swans and our ducks each day with cracked corn. I have no idea what happened with this swan but I found it floating this morning, and to say the least, we are all very sad as the swans have become part of our family! We do have 50-75 Canadian geese on our lake, which is very common and nothing out of the ordinary. The weather has been much warmer than what we have had the last few months, so we are puzzled.

Having said that, our one remaining swan is swimming around and looks very lonely. I was hoping to find a member here to help us find a few baby swans that we can raise. We would like to raise them from babies. I have 8 wooded acres and a pole barn, so we are well equipped to properly raise them until they are old enough to release on our lake.

Please feel free to email me directly with any leads. I was trying to avoid the higher priced breeders. I am very open to suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike Laka
[email protected]

I live in Dyer, Indiana on a 13 acre lake. I woke up this morning to learn that I had lost a white mute adult swan. We've had 2 male swans for over 6 years and have never had a problem. I have a bubbler in the lake all winter and I feed the swans and our ducks each day with cracked corn. I have no idea what happened with this swan but I found it floating this morning, and to say the least, we are all very sad as the swans have become part of our family! We do have 50-75 Canadian geese on our lake, which is very common and nothing out of the ordinary. The weather has been much warmer than what we have had the last few months, so we are puzzled.

Having said that, our one remaining swan is swimming around and looks very lonely. I was hoping to find a member here to help us find a few baby swans that we can raise. We would like to raise them from babies. I have 8 wooded acres and a pole barn, so we are well equipped to properly raise them until they are old enough to release on our lake.

Please feel free to email me directly with any leads. I was trying to avoid the higher priced breeders. I am very open to suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike Laka
[email protected]
Very sorry for your loss, I think a diet change maybe in order, cracked corn should not be the sole diet of water fowl, on my bag of 7 way scratch it says it should only be 10% of their diet. An all flock feed or game bird feed or water fowl feed would be more appropriate. and you might ask here on the ornamental thread about a Cygnet https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/46/ornamental-fowl-swans-etc and
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you very, very much for your help.

I will definitely look into the feed. We purchased the swans from a local breeder that recommended we feed them cracked corn. I will do the proper research and change their feed immediately.

Thank you again, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very, very much for your help.

I will definitely look into the feed. We purchased the swans from a local breeder that recommended we feed them cracked corn. I will do the proper research and change their feed immediately.

Thank you again, it is greatly appreciated.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you. Unfortunately, the swan did not fly away as I had to perform a burial service.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Personally, I do not think anything is wrong with offering cracked corn as a daily treat. I would expect that on a 13acre lake the swans get the vast majority of their food from pond greens in the lake, which is ideal. However, Mazuri Waterfowl food is the gold standard for swans and waterfowl in general for grain.

I would post on the ornamental thread as there are more swan owners there. Have you checked the other poultry section of buy/sell/trade or even the free rehoming page? You can also post a want to buy ad there. Finally, I would post on the where are you section for Indiana.

Best of luck finding your swan a new companion!

Mike I have 4 cygnets, also friendly hatched this past may, would you be interested in buying a pair...... Pinioned and all healthy and happy!! Located in conneaut lake, Pa

Thanks Amber

Thanks Amber, I would be interested, however, the price would need to be right. I have quite a few offers on free swans in the Spring from a few folks with mating pairs.

Thank you for contacting me. Let me know what you were thinking in terms of cost?

Back
Top Bottom