Photos from The Album

briefvisit

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 9, 2013
For new-comers, these emus are all tame-wild birds that were the subject of observations in Western Australia's south west for some years. One of Greedy's sisters was here for breakfast this morning.

Here is Greedy Emu, a female double-alpha rothschildi:

Here is Boy Emu during 2012 hatch -- the head of Ring-In Chick is just visible

Here is Eric the Emu and Alpha and Omega chicks attacking Wonky Wheelbarrow Emu:

Here are Alpha and Omega when they were much smaller. For you new-comers, these wild chicks and their tame-wild dad are standing right outside my living-room door.

Hey, Chooksforlike!! I am north west of Albany. Perhaps you have never been lucky enough to see a bird 'flare.' Greedy was a tame-wild bird, so she'd eat from your hand -- but she'd still flare at me when she thought maybe I was another emu. Sassybird Emu -- here now -- does the same thing.

se

Love the pictures Mark! The feathering sure makes them blend into their surroundings in Australia.

Louis says "hello!"

Last edited:
Hello Sheriff and Louis.

magnificent autumn dawn here
can hear sassybird

yes!! ya gotta see them in the wild to see how well they blend in

i have kept this story: was in garden at dusk dusk, with sassybird. she was about fifty feet away. shifted something in the garden. looked back

gone!!

but I knew she was there. it was just dusk and my eyes. so i stood and watched for about twenty seconds

voila!! she was standing right in front of me, visible as soon as she moved.

your birds always look so healthy, Sheriff. They are a credit to you.

se

Corny! They are exceptionally high-quality photos. I reckon you could sell them if block-mounted.
(Is the top chick's head cropped in the original photo?)

Autumn Rains have begun. Supreme Emu can hear the bush through open windows at night (summer bedroom). Can hear rain and Sassybird.

Sassybird driving off a rival bird. Shadow is still in orbit. Felicty due any time now.

Who remembers 'the soak on the way to town'? It used to get a regular mention. Well, yesterday -- cool weather = S.E. can see better -- I saw the pair-that-we-suspect-are-pets on the soak. Critters doin' it hard here right now. Pretty dry season.But the pair at the soak -- only the briefest of glimpses -- looked glossy.

I have great video of Sassybird vocalising, but still trying to upload it to Youtube.

se

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom