Trying to change the law for Richfield WI chickens

Barbiedoll4j

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
I went to the Board meeting this past Thursday and distributed a handout about urban chickens and attached a couple of local ordinances. Most were willing to listen but the village president kept asking how we would enforce the law and how would the enforcement be paid for. Any ideas on a good response? I think he's going to be one of the major objectors.

What does he want? Coop inspections and chicken licenses? If there is a problem then there will be a nuisance complaint made by a neighbor and it will be handled like all other nuisance complaints. If there isn't a nuisance issue then there isn't an issue. No money or enforcement needed.

That was our argument. It's just like the dog license. You expect people to be honest, report they have a dog and if there is a problem or nuisance then someone will call the police and complain. Police investigate and ticket, report, etc. Exactly the same.

Just curious, any luck or updates? I've read that changing chicken ordinances can take time but perseverance usually wins out.

Back
Top Bottom