Carnivores Waking Up

EricMd01

Songster
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
ky
My carnivorous plants have had a long, rough winter and are just beginning to wake up. I hope in the next couple of weeks i'll have some nice growth on these. Right now the sarracenias/pitcher plants are putting up flower buds/flowers and the venus flytraps are putting up new traps.

Sarracenia seedlings trying to come out of dormancy.

DSCF4844_zpsc4c59ba3.jpg
[/URL]

Sarracenia flower buds and flowers

DSCF4834_zpse85dbfec.jpg
[/URL]

DSCF4839_zpsd1fef91d.jpg
[/URL]

DSCF4838_zps870d4a30.jpg
[/URL]

DSCF4837_zpsef97d4b8.jpg
[/URL]

DSCF4744_zpsfe33f8b3.jpg
[/URL]

Venus flytraps trying to break dormancy

DSCF4846_zps42c016ac.jpg
[/URL]

DSCF4845_zpsea28159c.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks for stopping by!

got this nepenthes about 10 months ago. it wasnt doing much in the window I had it in so its been under 18 hours of a t5 all winter. I was really excited when I got a pitcher in january but it started to die a few weeks ago. I dont have great sun exposure in the house so thats why its under the light. its growing though. my hopes is to be able to take a cutting from it.

p.s. your picture links are broken
4y6usa3a.jpg

Nice nepenthes! Do you know what species it is and what its potted in? Might be able to help you get some pitchers.

It's a ceramic pot with light peat perlite and air stones and air stones . It came in a small 3 1/2 inch cup that was the Whispy Moss . Not sure what variety it is it just says X nepenthes

Id take it out of the peat mix and put it in 60/40 perlite/long fiber sphagnum(the yellow stuff) mix. Neps usually grow better in lfs than peat mixes. Where did you buy it? If its somewhere like lowes or home depot chances are its a N. ventricosa.

Last edited:
that has beenmused what ion the back of my mind since iI got it in there haha. used what I had at hand. I will give it a try. We don't have a Lowe's or depot fortunately. I got it from a local shop called ST I L . He's got a big one in the window says it's over seven years old . Has the soil pitures even!

I have a better picture of the pitcher on a camera. not on the phone.

Thanks for your help

Do they need a deep pot or are they shallow rooters?
The reason I am asking is I have an aquarium I am not using and want to have a Carnivorium. The tank isnt incredibly tall so when I put the Nepenthes with the pot in the tank it didnt stick out but didnt really fit with the light on top.
So if I transplant it in to the tank with a shallow bed of the proper material will it do ok? I would like to have it in area I can enjoy it more and out of the morning chore list.

The aquarium in question on bottom. Need to earthquake strap the setup.

3ezy8esy.jpg

The window is east facing and gets very brief morning light, aquariums in sw corner so doesnt get direct sunlight

A nepenthes gets huge and vines eventually. Id give it a nice deep pot. They seem to grow better with plenty root room. This one is a N. bicalcarata. Its in a 3 gallon pot.

Back
Top Bottom