My predicament

ekop31100

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 8, 2014
So I have 2 khaki campbell ducks. They are both females and they are about 2 months old. One of them has a foot injury that she will most likely have (a limp) for the rest of her life. One of the ducks always picks on the other one. Today I noticed that she had picked on the other ones eyes. I took her to the bird sanctuary (like a vet) tonight and found out that she is aggressive towards her sister even though she doesn't know what she is doing wrong. I might have to give one of them up and keep her at the bird sanctuary. I don't know what to do because I feel like since they have already imprinted on me that the one that I give away will feel like I don't love her. Or should I just give them both to the bird sanctuary? What should I do? Is there a way that I can get rid of the aggressive behavior and keep them both? Could it just be because they are young and hormonal? Also I read online that when a duck is injured in a flock, the other ducks will pick on and hurt that duck because it is weak and could draw in predators. Is this what is happening? PLEASE HELP ME I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO :(

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have 2 khaki campbell ducks. They are both females and they are about 2 months old. One of them has a foot injury that she will most likely have (a limp) for the rest of her life. One of the ducks always picks on the other one. Today I noticed that she had picked on the other ones eyes. I took her to the bird sanctuary (like a vet) tonight and found out that she is aggressive towards her sister even though she doesn't know what she is doing wrong. I might have to give one of them up and keep her at the bird sanctuary. I don't know what to do because I feel like since they have already imprinted on me that the one that I give away will feel like I don't love her. Or should I just give them both to the bird sanctuary? What should I do? Is there a way that I can get rid of the aggressive behavior and keep them both? Could it just be because they are young and hormonal? Also I read online that when a duck is injured in a flock, the other ducks will pick on and hurt that duck because it is weak and could draw in predators. Is this what is happening? PLEASE HELP ME I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO
sad.png

edited by staff
ekop please give us more info, like where are you keeping your ducklings [size of area too] to what your feeding and what kind of injury does your ducks foot have. Could it be something treatable?

They live in a little coop that is 4x4'. There is a run attached to that that is about 10 long by 4 feet wide. They have a little swimming pool at the end that is 3x1' (not big enough to fully swil in but more to cool off in. They are being fed purina poultry crumbles. I am putting about a teaspoon of calcium in that and will attach a picture of what it is in. They also have a water bowl in the coop that is changed every other day. Her injury is kind of unnamed. First she just had a limp because she had dislocated being how clumsy ducks are. The so called aggressive duck pulled on the foot and she slipped a tendon. It was fixed and it no longer hurts her, but she will always kind of favor that other side. They also get fresh veggies (mostly lettuce and grass) every day.

They live in a little coop that is 4x4'. There is a run attached to that that is about 10 long by 4 feet wide. They have a little swimming pool at the end that is 3x1' (not big enough to fully swil in but more to cool off in. They are being fed purina poultry crumbles. I am putting about a teaspoon of calcium in that and will attach a picture of what it is in. They also have a water bowl in the coop that is changed every other day. Her injury is kind of unnamed. First she just had a limp because she had dislocated being how clumsy ducks are. The so called aggressive duck pulled on the foot and she slipped a tendon. It was fixed and it no longer hurts her, but she will always kind of favor that other side. They also get fresh veggies (mostly lettuce and grass) every day.
I'm not sure what could be going on with your one duck being so aggressive your absolutely sure it's a duck and not a drake? At 2 months old they should be a close knit group of 2 but sometimes they are squabbles when working out a pecking order it just doesn't sound normal for your one girl to be being so aggressive towards her room mate. Looks and sounds like they have plenty of room and good feed and water to cool off in. I just don't know. There's something going on that I can't put a finger on, How badly did she hurt the ones eyes? It does sound like the reasonable thing to do would be to rehome the aggressor but then the one left is going to be extremely lonely but you can't let them stay together if she is going to be constantly hurt either. Maybe split your pen and house into 2 separate sides so they can still see on another for company but the one can't be hurt. Maybe someone else can give some other ideas. I wish I could be of more help. When I have to do a separation I use the plastic poultry fencing from Lowes it works great easy to put uop and take down and they have fiberglass fence posts for around 2.60 each. They just push into the ground.

I am positive that she is a duck and not a drake. She was sexed at the hatchery and her feathering looks nothing like a drakes. Thank you for your help though!

Also, she hurt her eyes to the point where she couldn't open them. When I looked at them, they were all gweepy and cloudy.

Also, she hurt her eyes to the point where she couldn't open them. When I looked at them, they were all gweepy and cloudy.
I would separate them now and not let this get any worse. be sure to wash out the injured ones eyes to keep infection away, you can use a saline wash, make a saline wash by using warm water and salt or buy something at the feed store. But keep her eyes cleaned out. Gently.

Can you post pictures of the ducks? Hatcheries make mistakes. And ducks can be hard to sex at this age. Do they both quack? Or does one sound raspy? I would take the calcium out, where is plenty in there feed. They don't need any added intill they lay. I would add brewers yeast, which if they where lacking can cause leg problems.

Back
Top Bottom