EEK...am I raising a flock of roosters??

Carla Hayes

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
Topeka, KS
My 12 chicks are 4.5 weeks old...and almost all of them are starting to show reddish pink on their combs and wattles...are they ALL roos???

1: SL Wyandotte #1

2. Barred Rock

3. GL Wyandotte #1

4. SL Wyandotte #2

5. SL Wyandotte #3

6. RIR

7. GL Wyandotte #2

8. Black Sex Link

9. Turken...I KNOW this one is a roo!

10. EE

11. Buff Orp

12. Mille Fleur D Uccle

I bought these chickens as pets and am getting pretty attached. How many roos can co-exist in one coop?

#3 and #12 look like potential cockerels to me based solely on the comb color.

But then it could be the photo too. Take the turken, first photo the comb looks very red and on close up photo it's perfectly normal pullet coloration. Could this same thing be happening to the Wyandotte photos? I don't know, the first Wyandotte looks typical pullet that age so photo #3 of GLW red comb could be with the photo only.

Last edited:
My turken matured faster than her flock mates. At times I was convinced she was a cockerel.

Where did you get the chicks and were they sold as SR or were they sexed?

I think roosters can get along if they grow up together, but I don't have much experience.

#3 and #12 look like potential cockerels to me based solely on the comb color.

But then it could be the photo too. Take the turken, first photo the comb looks very red and on close up photo it's perfectly normal pullet coloration. Could this same thing be happening to the Wyandotte photos? I don't know, the first Wyandotte looks typical pullet that age so photo #3 of GLW red comb could be with the photo only.

The photos look pretty close to what they look like in real life. GLW#1 has a little darker pink comb than GLW#2, but both are obviously pinkish. The turken is the biggest chick and has always had sturdier legs (of course I don't know much about the breed...that could be common?). his head and neck are turning dark pink. I'm hoping atleast 8 of them are pullets!

AACRE: "I agree with Egghead.
If it comforts you at all, I have SLW hens and they all have red combs and waddles.. They are girls!
"

This does comfort me!! Most of the posts on here usually say if theres red/pink this early...its a boy!

My turken matured faster than her flock mates. At times I was convinced she was a cockerel.

Where did you get the chicks and were they sold as SR or were they sexed?

I think roosters can get along if they grow up together, but I don't have much experience.

I got them from Heartland Hatchery (out of Missouri) when they came to town. I think some of them were sold as pullets and others as SR...but there were a lot of people in line behind me so I wasn't asking a lot of questions.

The above SLW is a hen. I always thought it was strange that they have really red combs and massive waddles, but they lay eggs and that's all that matters to me!
woot.gif

I have SLW and GLWs too, and some of them DO have awfully red combs/wattles for hens, but they are hens!

I currently have five roosters, and they all get along just fine and free range together and go in the coop together at night. They were raised together and are going on 2 years old now. I DO have a lot of hens for them to share, though, and this may play a significant role in the peace-keeping.

UPDATE... These chicks are now 8-9 weeks old...I lost Harriett to one of my dogs, but added 3 more (#12,13,14) they are 5ish weeks old now)

#1 SL Wyandotte ...my guess is roo

#2 Barred Rock...my guess is pullet

#3 GL Wyandotte...my guess is Roo

#4 SL Wyandotte... my guess is roo

#5 SL Wyandotte... my guess is roo

#6 Rhode island red...my guess is pullet

#7 GL Wyandotte...my guess is roo

#8 Black Sex Link ....my guess is pullet

#9 Turken...my guess is roo

#10 Easter Egger... my guess is roo

#11 Buff Orpington...my guess is pullet

#12 Welsummer...my guess is pullet