Fodder for Quail

I ordered Winter Rye from an organic seed company and am waiting for it to get it here so I can start growing. Barley was unavailable...

We'd like to get away from buying feed as well, but the 26% protein that the quail require doesn't leave too many options to grow their feed.

There are some higher protein options, but things like rye and so on used for fodder are more of a grain. Things like amaranth and quinoa have 26 and 24 grams of protein per cup and more fat content than grain fodder.
Rye has 17g per 1 cup which equals 11 % protein
Amaranth 14.5 %
Quinoa 15 %
A 30% gamebird starter mix is 30& crude protein--- let's remind ourselves this is not even derived from real protein sources, but rather from chemical synthesizing.

Quail also don't hesitate to eat worms, grubs and so on. perhaps a worm farm or soldier fly larvae set up would be worth the investment.

I think sprouting works better than fodder for fowl. Right now I am fermenting their feed and I'm VERY pleased with the results. Fermenting makes the nutrients more available, the fact that it is wet cuts down on watering, they waste absolutely nothing, and they scarf it down amazingly quickly. I have only been doing it for a few days, I am eagerly awaiting the real trial of my current brooder babies. I plan to weigh them against the adolescents for growth rate at 6 and 8 weeks.

I think sprouting works better than fodder for fowl.  Right now I am fermenting their feed and I'm VERY pleased with the results.  Fermenting makes the nutrients more available, the fact that it is wet cuts down on watering, they waste absolutely nothing, and they scarf it down amazingly quickly.  I have only been doing it for a few days, I am eagerly awaiting the real trial of my current brooder babies.  I plan to weigh them against the adolescents for growth rate at 6 and 8 weeks. 
what is the process you use to ferment, I'm interested.

It is very easy. Put two days worth of food in a bucket, cover with water and add more if the feed absorbs most of it. You want a half inch laying on top to avoid spoilage. It should attract wild yeasts and begin to go sour in a day or two. In order to hurry it along I added a couple tablespoons of LIVE (not pasteurized) sauerkraut juice from a jar of sauerkraut I bought at Whole Foods. Overnight it was lightly bubbly and had a lightly sour smell.

You can begin feeding as soon as it is soaked, it will give them a chance to get accustomed to the change in texture and flavor while the fermentation process advances.

As you remove feed, replace it with fresh, making sure to top the water off as necessary.

One note. Use water that is clean (RO, bottled or let set out in a jug for a day to allow the chlorine to dissipate).

Oh man this is great stuff, fermenting grains is the best process for human consumption and easier on our digestive tracts.

From my understand and experience, fodder is sprouted.

Could you use raw apple cider vinegar instead of sauerkraut juice?

What would happen if you fermented Rye seed instead of sprouting it? Would they still eat it?

We currently have well water, so chlorine isn't an issue.

thanks for the insight!!

It is very easy. Put two days worth of food in a bucket, cover with water and add more if the feed absorbs most of it.  You want a half inch laying on top to avoid spoilage. It should attract wild yeasts and begin to go sour in a day or two.  In order to hurry it along I added a couple tablespoons of LIVE (not pasteurized) sauerkraut juice from a jar of sauerkraut I bought at Whole Foods. Overnight it was lightly bubbly and had a lightly sour smell.

You can begin feeding as soon as it is soaked, it will give them a chance to get accustomed to the change in texture and flavor while the fermentation process advances.

As you remove feed, replace it with fresh, making sure to top the water off as necessary.

One note.  Use water that is clean (RO, bottled or let set out in a jug for a day to allow the chlorine to dissipate).
thanks, I'm going to give it a try

Back
Top Bottom