5 week old gosling with hard crop

Starfire669

Songster
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
I am in a panic, my smallest gosling has a hard crop and won't get up, eat, or drink. When I picked her up she was shaking like a leaf, I can see her head shaking now while she is on the ground. In desperation I did syringe a couple mL of olive oil down her and messaged her crop. I know I'm not supposed to do what I did because of her long neck, but she seems to be getting weaker and more lethargic. We don't have avian vets and I don't know who to help her.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I also accidentally posted this same question in the introduction section and don't know if I can remove it. And I intentionally posted in the emergencies section. I'm hoping someone will see the emergency or the gosling post and be able to help me. I'm sorry, I just don't want to lose my baby!

I am in a panic, my smallest gosling has a hard crop and won't get up, eat, or drink. When I picked her up she was shaking like a leaf, I can see her head shaking now while she is on the ground. In desperation I did syringe a couple mL of olive oil down her and messaged her crop. I know I'm not supposed to do what I did because of her long neck, but she seems to be getting weaker and more lethargic. We don't have avian vets and I don't know who to help her.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I also accidentally posted this same question in the introduction section and don't know if I can remove it. And I intentionally posted in the emergencies section. I'm hoping someone will see the emergency or the gosling post and be able to help me. I'm sorry, I just don't want to lose my baby!
Maybe someone else will be able to help more, but it seems you´ve done what´s possible...keep doing the massage to help her. I hope she´s picked up a bit now.

She is 5 weeKa old, and I'm trying to feed her a mashed hard boiled egg. I do have an antibiotic powder I can add to her water. She hasn't pooped since that one earlier, about 1.5 hr ago or so. Could she still have a blockage?

She is 5 weeKa old, and I'm trying to feed her a mashed hard boiled egg. I do have an antibiotic powder I can add to her water. She hasn't pooped since that one earlier, about 1.5 hr ago or so. Could she still have a blockage?
Yes, sorry, I didn´t remember the thread title with the age there! What have you been feeding her other than the egg? Does she still have a solid gullet?

I have never been able to get water fowl to eat mashed hard boiled egg chicks yes.

Her crop is completely empty and her abdomen is soft as well. I tried giving her her normal feed, nothing. I tried to stimulate her with some free oat sprouts I grow myself, nothing. And refusing the egg. She is drinking, but is so weak I have to hold her head now. I'm losing her. I have her wrapped in a towel bundled under my robe against my chest to keep her warm and to keep her calm. She panics without her 5 siblings.

From the day we brought her home, she was the smallest of them all. My son nicknamed her Tiny and spent lots of time playing with her and hand feeding her treats from my garden after I approved it, of coarse. She was very loving and more graceful than the other big bruisers and had a close friendship with some chicks we bought on the same day. She was perfectly fine yesterday, running, splashing in her pool, grazing on grass. This morning when I checked on them she was a little off but up and about. Then a few hours later when I went to take them out she wouldn't get up. I saw her shaking and picked her up, felt how hard her crop was, and came here for help.

Nothing unusual happened to cause this that I know of. And I'm the one who cares for them everyday.

From the day we brought her home, she was the smallest of them all. My son nicknamed her Tiny and spent lots of time playing with her and hand feeding her treats from my garden after I approved it, of coarse. She was very loving and more graceful than the other big bruisers and had a close friendship with some chicks we bought on the same day. She was perfectly fine yesterday, running, splashing in her pool, grazing on grass. This morning when I checked on them she was a little off but up and about. Then a few hours later when I went to take them out she wouldn't get up. I saw her shaking and picked her up, felt how hard her crop was, and came here for help.

Nothing unusual happened to cause this that I know of. And I'm the one who cares for them everyday.
So sorry, it sounds like she´s very poorly. Have you seen anything about giving niacin to them? often they can get a great need for niacin, which is in brewer´s Yeast, and the result can be almost immediate.

Back
Top Bottom