Quail not laying, is something wrong with my set up?

nayeli

Songster
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
Here is my set up... they were in the cage on the left but we built them a bigger cage to give them more room, they have been in the new cage over two weeks. We got them about a month ago and we were told they should start laying any day, I think they were 6 weeks then which puts them at 10 now but no eggs! We have 1 rooster and 3 hens because we lost 1 hen early on to an unknown cause. I feed and water then 3x a day and just added cuttlebone and a sandbox, our garage also has windows across the top so it isn't dark in there.

I can't see the pictures. Are you sure they are not laying and it's not an egg eater problem? I have a slant bottom on my cage to get the eggs away from them because they will peck and even eat the eggs if left in there too long. Are you giving them calcium either in their feed or on the side for the shells?

There is calcium in their feed and cuttlebone in their cage. I think it it was an egg eater I would have seen an egg as much as I check on them, or at least egg shells.

They should be laying by now. Do you hear any crowing? When the roo starts crowing the eggs are usually there within a week. Check them over for parasites just to make sure.

parasites like what? I thought they would be laying too, but I'm still waiting. I'm thinking of providing them additional light.

Get a light in your garage and set it on a timer to allow 14hrs of light. Make sure your feed has enough protein. When you say you feed and water them 3 times a day, do you mean top up their dishes? Might be worth getting proper feeders that you can leave in there for a couple of days without the need for refilling!

@teradragon I'm getting chick feeders this weekend. Then I have two waterers for birds on the side but they are smaller, I wish I could find the attachment for a soda bottle!

i had some quail that didn't start laying until around the 12 week mark. I was confused, but they eventually started laying.

Thank you @ThaJuicyJuice I will just try to be patient and maybe introduce extra lighting.

Back
Top Bottom