What to do with newly hatched chicks??

btny9

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Mississippi
When I got home today one of my two hens that are setting had a baby chick with her. YAY. but now what? After they all hatch what should I do with them? Right now they are in the nesting box in the coop. Should I put them in a brooder box after they hatch or take them out of the nesting box and put them on the floor of the coop with all the other chickens? Please help. Any suggestions will help.

We have newly hatched chicks today too! I have had chickens for years but never had a broody hen, so this is all new for me. Do they need food and water immediately? One of the chicks was pecking at mama's food shortly after hatching. I have had mama separated from the rest of the flock in a dog kennel type set up and so far so good. I have taken her out every morning to poop and do chicken stuff. After 10 minutes she goes back on her eggs. How am I doing??? And how long should I keep chicks separated from all the rest? Any and all suggestions appreciated! Thank you!

If you are concerned about the chicks having their share of feed or wanting to feed them something other than what the rest of the flock is eating, you can easily put together a "creep feeder" which provides an area that the chicks can get into but bigger birds can not....the size difference in birds makes this work.

Back
Top Bottom