Sponsored Post Oh, Baby! Preventing and Treating Pasting in Chicks

JenniO11

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
This article is brought to us by our sponsor Nutrena

by Tiffany Towne, Nutrena Poultry Expert

Baby chicks go through a lot before you get them home. They’re hatched, then shipped either directly to you or your favorite feed store. At the store they encounter all the sensations of a retail environment, are selected and then transported yet again to their new home. Either way, that’s a lot of stress, and it can rattle the fragile health of young chicks, most of whom are only a few days old.

One of the biggest problems in stressed chicks is pasting (also called “pasty butt” or “poopy butt”). It happens when feces that are not the right consistency get stuck to the bird and “paste” the vent (area where feces are excreted) closed. Left untreated, a blocked vent, which on the surface just seems a little gross, can actually be fatal.

Always Water First
Water is the best defense against pasting. A chick without enough water in its system can’t digest food correctly, which leads to pasting. Here’s how it happens. Prior to “shipping out” from the hatchery, new chicks are not fed or watered, since they can live on the yolk reserves inside their bodies for the two to three days it takes for delivery to their final destination. Upon arrival, they are thirsty and hungry, and our impulse is to put them in front of feeders and waterers immediately. Don’t.

Make sure all baby birds in the brooder are drinking before they are given food. When placing chicks in the brooder, have your waterer set up with room-temperature water, but do not place the feed right away. As each bird enters the brooder, dip its beak into the waterer so it can get a small drink and locate the water source. This will prevent the birds from first filling up on feed and not getting properly hydrated. When you feel that all birds have found the water and had a good drink, it’s time to add the feed.

Correct Brooder Temperature
Very young chicks are not equipped to handle temperature fluctuations. A brooder that is too warm leads to dehydrated birds that are stressed. A brooder that’s too cool results in chilled birds that are stressed. Both scenarios can result in pasting. An ideal brooder temperature is between 90 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit for the first week. The temperature can be decreased by about five degrees per week as the chicks start to regulate their body temperature better and grow feathers.

Treatment: Water, Gloves, Patience
Identifying pasting is relatively easy for all the reasons you’d expect: chicks will have a buildup of feces around the vent area. Treating pasting can be unpleasant, but it’s not difficult or costly. (Some mother hens simply peck away the fecal matter.) The main goal is to clear the vent area so the bird can resume defecating normally. All you need is warm water, latex gloves, and patience.

First, find a warm, draft-free spot and gently swab feces from the vent area with a wet paper towel. Extreme cases may require you to loosen the hardened feces first. Hold the vent area under lukewarm (not hot) running water or sit the chick in a mug or bowl of lukewarm water, then wipe away loose matter. After you have cleaned the bird, gently dry the area with a hair dryer (optional). Finally, apply a lubricant, such as Vaseline, to the vent area to help prevent further problems.

Keep Them Healthy
By closely monitoring your chicks for the first several weeks of life, you can catch the early signs of pasting and treat it quickly. Remember to always keep waterers clean and water fresh to increase water consumption. When you’re ready to feed, choose a good quality chick starter with the protein, vitamins and minerals chicks need to thrive, like Nutrena
00ae.png
NatureWise
00ae.png
feeds. NatureWise
00ae.png
feeds includefeeds include prebiotics and probiotics to aid in digestion. This supports a stronger immune response and better overall chick health. Correct nutrition is especially critical for growing chicks and helps set the stage for life-long productivity.

With adequate water, the correct brooder temperature and the right nutrition, your chicks should be off to a trouble-free start.

To find a Nutrena dealer near you, visit www.NutrenaPoultryFeed.com. You can subscribe to the Nutrena poultry blog at ScoopFromTheCoop. com. Also enter to win a new coop and other great prizes during the Nutrena Farm Team Challenge Sweepstakes March 1 – April 30, 2014, at www.FarmTeamChallenge.com.

Thank you for mentioning the fact about making sure they've had a good drink before introducing food. I mentioned that once in a forum and people lost their minds thinking I meant to starve the poor things!

i got chicks from local feed store had no problems for three d ays then had one with pasty but put chick feed in coffee grinder then added enuff plain yogurt to make a paste feed once a day for 3 deays fresh room temp water daily have not had a problem since i belive clean fresh water daily is the key

So I've got one chick that had a pasty hiney...I cleaned it but didn't know to put Vaseline on it's tail end. If it gets a pasty hiney once will it happen again? Is it safe to give them the antibiotics since I want good for me chickens and eggs?

Three of My Six chicks Had pasty butt when I got them Home! From a previous experience I soak a Paper Towel with warm water hold It on the chicks Bottom And Continue doing that back and forth wet paper towel, bottom, wet towel, bottom, while trying to loosen The poo. Works just fine! Never had needed Vaseline. Also A good thing On preventing this I have been adding a couple drops of apple cider vinegar to there little water founts which Is great at preventing this and other things....Hasn't happened Since!

I also Feed Nutrena Nature Wise Feeds. Always had great Results!

Thank You!

iam new to chicks mine are 6 wks old i think the key to no paste but is clean warm water every day but if you put probiotic in water you should also provide fresh water in a different water i also give mine plain yogart mixed with feed that i put in co ffee grinder mixed enough yourgert to make a paste they think it is a real treat.i heard not to treat with meal worms for three weeks i feed chick starter yougart for 5 days then started a few meal worms barley sprouts alfalfa leaves that i clean off hay trailer after feeding horses and my 18 chicks have not had pasty but tyet mybe just luck but working for me.

Three of My Six chicks Had pasty butt when I got them Home! From a previous experience I soak a Paper Towel with warm water hold It on the chicks Bottom And Continue doing that back and forth wet paper towel, bottom, wet towel, bottom, while trying to loosen The poo. Works just fine! Never had needed Vaseline. Also A good thing On preventing this I have been adding a couple drops of apple cider vinegar to there little water founts which Is great at preventing this and other things....Hasn't happened Since!

I also Feed Nutrena Nature Wise Feeds. Always had great Results!

Thank You!
I too have found that with some raw apple cider vinegar in their water no pasty butt since!!!

very informative post.
in case of vent pasting the vent(area from which bird excrete) in blocked due to any reason as mentioned in above post.If you want to treat it then simply provide the bird a 5% sugar sloution it will increase the birds intestinal motality and vent would be open.but how much water should be provided to birds it depends upon number of birds.their age in days and the weather condition.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom