First pallet coop?!

noahsmom

Songster
9 Years
Jan 11, 2013
North Eastern, Ky

Well we were fortunate enough to score around 16 pallets!
I was really surprised to find out how many people/businesses locally are so willing to get rid of these things!! So we have more options if we need more :)
Now just to figure out exactly what to do with them! I've seen pictures of pallet coops/runs online and we were thinking of doing some kind of a plywood floor then taking the pallets and going around the edges. Then removing the boards on one side of the pallets and putting them on the other side to obviously cover up the holes in between. His idea is just to use the pallets for the floor (have them raised up off the ground) and then take more pallets like I said around the edges and removing the boards etc,.. lol I'm very new to this and would love to learn from those who have done this and figured out any tips or tricks?! Just looking for cheap and simple lol! Doesn't have to be beautiful just functional, although I wouldn't mind painting it and making it look cute! Anyone have any fully layed out plans that they used? I'm not sure exactly how big 2 pallets wide and 2 pallets long will make it, but that I think that is about what size we are looking at going. Also has anyone made runs with their pallets? We were thinking of doing that and stapling hardware cloth or chicken wire to the wood to make a run.

Thanks!

I have about 25 pallets now and will be picking up 10 more tomorrow. My initial plan was the same as yours but I am very anal and have a hard time without straight lines. I am however going to use a sawzall and cut the nails on all of the slats and use as siding. I have tried to pry them off bit usually break them
Looking forward to other ideas
Ed

Ed,

I'm the same way I need straight lines or it will absolutely drive me crazy every time I look at it! However I'm OK if it isn't 100% perfect lol
That's one thing I did read on here was using a sawzall to cut through the nails is the best way to remove the boards, saves some time and from breaking the boards. Hopefully we will get some more people on here to give us some more ideas :)

I did find enough lumber to frame the coop, I think I will use all of the lumber from the inside of the pallets to add cross bracing and support around windows and doors and internal parts of nest boxes
Ed

Neat! We both work full time so this project will probably be strictly weekends for us, we are going to start on it tomorrow. :)
We picked a spot today where we will put it! Will have some Silkie eggs sent to me in a couple weeks or so by a friend here on BYC :) (thanks Becky!), I might just order six large fowl eggs from somewhere else to so I can have a chance of maybe at least a couple hens... I've read they get along better if grown together. I LOVE my silkies though so pretty a and sweet! :)
I'll hopefully have some pictures soon of the newly built coop, we both have varying ideas of what we want lol so it may take a little while!! Lol would love to see pictures of your alls!

[/IMG]

We are working on the small coop and the bigger coop. It may be confusing but eventually we'll have 3 runs. I'll have updated pics tomorrow night. We'll be in the yard tomorrow, too!

Back
Top Bottom