having SERIOUS issues with oppossum!

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
15 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
we had severe weather and tornadoes here tonight so Im resting on the couch following up on the storms when I hear a crash... Back in Oct I lost three birds to and opossum--my coop is ft. knox now, so they are targeting my rabbits!!! I have the snare up but what more can I do to deter them, the hutch is literally up against my house, back lights are on!!! so frustrating!

I too have a serious possum problem, I have lost 3 in the last 5 days. I think the storm ( was in it too) kept it away last night but I also brought everyone into the house last night for good measure. Even though I had chickens roosting all over my bathroom I didn't lose any to a predator. I've set live traps but haven't caught any thing yet. Fingers crossed it will work.

I would set traps for them. If you really want them wait up outside until they come and knock them off. Do you have a 22 or gun?

I would set traps for them. If you really want them wait up outside until they come and knock them off. Do you have a 22 or gun?
Im in city limits and all my guns a larger cal, we are getting a .22 in may and we also are getting bows. My husband chased him down with a machete but he squeezed through a hole and got away :/ I fully anticipate dispatching

If you are in town you likely won't want to use full power 22 shells. They're too loud and some jerk will likely turn you in. Look for some 22 shells called cb caps or cb's. They are almost totally quiet depending on the gun they're fired from. The most you will hear is a snap

Last edited:
If you are in town you likely won't want to use full power 22 shells. They're too loud and some jerk will likely turn you in. Look for some 22 shells called cb caps or cb's. They are almost totally quiet depending on the fun they're fired from. The most you will hear is a snap
Great info, thank you I will def get them, we have vicious coyotes and bob cats too, we have an acre of woods behind us so they come visit from time to time... I will feel so much better having the .22 :)

Might want to look into a decent pellet rifle too, some places it might be "more legal" to shoot a pellet rifle than a real rifle. Obviously not for the bigger stuff, but for the oppossums and whatnot, a .22 pellet rifle is adequate.

Back
Top Bottom