Does anyone have experience with hatchery cuckoo marans?

Cyan Night

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I picked up two little cuckoo marans at the local feed store, who gets their chicks from Privett. They were apparently sexed, as most of the chicks they order are, but lately I've been getting a lot of roos. More than 10%. Right now I have two suspected roos and now a third, being one of the marans. (S)he is four and a half weeks and I'm noticing some redness in the wattle area. Comb is a little large but still yellow. (S)he is also almost fully feathered, which confuses me since most of the roos I've had were still rumpless at that age and still slowly feathering out. So is this normal for a hatchery cuckoo female? Or do the males feather out quickly for his breed? Unfortunately I can't keep roos, but I really want to keep this cuckoo since (s)he's so sweet. Anyone else with this experience? I'll probably find out next week, but I'd like to gather some information for the future.
Thank you!

Both are four and a half weeks old
Suspected roo (can barely see the pinkish red in the wattles, but it's there):

Suspected pullet:

I was looking back at photos of my Cuckoo Marans when they were that age, and it occurred to me that there were several times that I was worried they were actually black sex link cockerels. They are one year old now and all egg-laying hens.

Yours does seem to have a bigger comb, but I'm not sure that I would give up hope yet.

Here are photos of mine at around 4-weeks for comparison:

I ordered Black Marans from Estes Hatchery. They ended up sending me Cuckoos. I already had some Cratty line cuckoos that I had been showing. The Estes birds grew up nicely, I had a hard time telling them apart from the show line and sometimes had to check the leg bands. I am not saying that under close scrutiny they would win at a show, but when running in the yard I couldn't tell the difference. This is a stark contrast to some of the other hatchery birds/breeds, though not necessarily from estes. (fyi silkies and cochin bantams from Murray are very obvious to tell from my show stock). This was a few years ago, so things may have changed but I would order again if I wanted to get back into Marans.

Back
Top Bottom