Possible frostbite on Runner foot?

ducklover87

Songster
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
It's still cold where I live and this morning I couldn't find my Runner anywhere when I let them out of the coop. So a little bit ago I went out to get the mail because I haven't been home all day and I seen her sitting in the pen. So I went over to check her out and make sure that she's ok and she was kinda limping on one leg and it looked funny. So I brought her in and cleaned it up to try and see it better and it looks horrible. My bf and I are thinking it might be frost bite but we aren't really sure since we've never seen frostbite on any of the ducks before. I feel so bad for her. I took a few pics of her foot so that you all could see what it looks like.

This is the bad foot. This is a pic of both of her feet so you can see the difference.

Is this frost bite? And if so how do I treat it? I've checked her foot everywhere and I see no cuts or anything that looks like a bruise.

From Storey's Guide

(first make sure feet aren't frozen to the ground)

Then rapidly warm the frostbitten feet in a water bath (105 - 108˚F) for 15 to 20 minutes, and give the patient lukewarm drinking water. Do not rub the affected parts. If gangrene sets in, the frozen areas may eventually drop off or may need to be amputated and treated as an open wound. The oral administration of antibiotics such as penicillin and Terramycin to birds with severe frostbite reduces the chance of infection.

Amiga here - I would keep the duck in a relatively warm place on towels for a few days, give lukewarm baths deep enough to float in, perhaps some Epsom salt soaks (it is a laxative don't let the duck drink it). Also some Vetericyn spray on the leg and foot three times a day. Vitamins with electrolytes would probably be good twice a week, too.

ducklover87,

hugs.gif

Last edited:
From Storey's Guide

(first make sure feet aren't frozen to the ground)

Then rapidly warm the frostbitten feet in a water bath (105 - 108˚F) for 15 to 20 minutes, and give the patient lukewarm drinking water. Do not rub the affected parts. If gangrene sets in, the frozen areas may eventually drop off or may need to be amputated and treated as an open wound. The oral administration of antibiotics such as penicillin and Terramycin to birds with severe frostbite reduces the chance of infection.

Amiga here - I would keep the duck in a relatively warm place on towels for a few days, give lukewarm baths deep enough to float in, perhaps some Epsom salt soaks (it is a laxative don't let the duck drink it). Also some Vetericyn spray on the leg and foot three times a day. Vitamins with electrolytes would probably be good twice a week, too.

ducklover87,

hugs.gif

I brought her in and let her sit in a warm bath then put her in a large cat carrier on a towel next to a heater. I will have to wait until tom sometime to get some Vetericyn spray and electrolytes. Thank you Amiga for the help. I feel so bad for my little one her foot looks terrible.
hugs.gif
back!

If you have access to comfrey herb, you could try making a tea and cooling it off and spraying the foot with that.

Hmm I'm not one for herbs or tea making so I don't have anything like that around the house. However I went to Tractor Supply today on my break since I worked 11am to 11pm today and they had the Vetericyn spray but it was only for eyes. I wasn't sure if that was right or not so I didn't buy it and instead asked for help on what to get since a lot of our tractor supply workers actually have some sort of experience with farm type animals and one guy said to use Vaseline on it to help keep it moist so that it could heal. I'm not sure how accurate that information is but since I've never dealt with frost bite before I figured it'd be worth the try. They also didn't have the electrolytes and vitamins that I normally buy so I had to pick up something different so I will see how that goes. I am working night shifts the next two nights so at least I will be home during the day to take care of her better and give her some bath time.

Yes, it looks like frostbite.
Vaseline is definitely a good idea. I'd suggest that and antibiotics so that it doesn't get infected. My neighbor had one of her little call ducks break out of the pen on her one night when it was very cold out.. The poor thing ended up losing the tip of her toe.. But between Vaseline and antibiotics, that probably saved her from losing her whole foot. That's what was recommended to her by a vet. Hope that helps a little bit!

-J

Yes, it looks like frostbite.
Vaseline is definitely a good idea. I'd suggest that and antibiotics so that it doesn't get infected. My neighbor had one of her little call ducks break out of the pen on her one night when it was very cold out.. The poor thing ended up losing the tip of her toe.. But between Vaseline and antibiotics, that probably saved her from losing her whole foot. That's what was recommended to her by a vet. Hope that helps a little bit!

-J

Thank you so much for your response. I was so iffy on the whole vaseline thing but not so much anymore. Tonight was the first night I applied it and since yesterday her foot looks to be getting better. I don't think she will lose her foot which is good since that was my main worry. Hopefully she will be back outside in no time
smile.png

Last edited:
I would consider antibiotics also. Actually, triple antibiotic ointment has a petroleum jelly base, I do believe. That may be the way to go.

Thanks, JacksonC for some good feedback.

I would consider antibiotics also. Actually, triple antibiotic ointment has a petroleum jelly base, I do believe. That may be the way to go.

Thanks, JacksonC for some good feedback.

What sort of antibiotics? I have penicillin that I had used for my duck Cheese when she was attacked by my dog. But it's the injection kind. Should I give her some of that?

ETA: I will get some pics of her feet today so you can see her progress. Also she laid an egg yesterday morning and again this morning. Not sure what that means exactly but if she's still laying that must be a good thing. Right?

Last edited:
I do not know at this point if the injectable is a good idea, or if the topical is the way to go. I would at least start with the topical antibiotic to prevent infection, and if it does get infected, then consider the injectable.

Laying seems to be a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom