When to process Dual purpose birds?

It depends.....

We've processed hatchery Orpingtons at around 15 weeks and they were pretty scrawny. Although, I'm comparing them to Cornish X.

My goal is to get my DP cockerels to 18-20 weeks before processing, although the rowdiness and crowing usually prevent that. We usually process around 16-18 weeks and they're a decent size (3-4 lbs.). Personally, I wouldn't expect much before 12 weeks on a DP bird.

It might make them meatier. It depends on how well the person doing the breeding did on selecting which chickens to breed and how many generations he put into it. The quality of the stock he started with can make a big difference too. A big factor too is how you feed them. Are they on a higher protein meat bird diet or are you feeding them a lower protein Grower?

You can cook any bird of either sex at any age. If you butcher them at 12 weeks they will be mostly bone without much meat but you can still fry them. Much older and you have to change your cooking methods. The older they are the slower you need to cook them. You also have to add more moisture.

I use a 16 week absolute minimum age and only them if I have a compelling reason. I much prefer to wait until at least 18 weeks with 20 to 22 an even better target. Around 22 weeks their rate of growth slows down. When I’m evaluating which rooster to keep for my flock master I may wait until two months later.

. This is daddy. He sure is big.

Okay thank you! My boy is huge! I think I will go 20 weeks. Are they still moist enough to fry?

Probably not, but you never know. It's usually to late when they start crowing and running after the ladies.
gig.gif
Be sure to let him sit in ice water or fridge for up to 48 hrs. One method to tenderize roosters is to soak in salt water or better yet buttermilk.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom