Hurt baby

BridgetBarger

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
SE Kansas
I bought 2 ducklings Friday, at first I put them in with slightly older duckling that did not go over well. So I move them to were I have my baby chicks and 2 poults, watch them for a long time then or course did check all through out the day, no problems. Then yesterday i had to work, when I got home, 1 duckling has been injured quite badly to it's foot and leg looks like may a broken foot. I splinted it's foot hoping that may help with recovery. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

The ducklings are now in a different place then the chicks.

Here is a picture of his foot now. Think I should have just left him alone last night and not tried to splint it. He is able to walk so I think I will just leave him be.

Make an Epsom salt solution with a tablespoon of E.s. and a cup of lukewarm water. Don't let the duckling drink any of it, it is a laxative.

Either gently hold the duckling so its foot is in the E.s. water, or soak a clean cloth and wrap that gently around the foot. Hold it there for five minutes if you can.

If you can get some Traumeel, put a tiny dab of that top and bottom on the foot, and on the leg. Can the duckling walk? Give it some time in a warmish (80F) tub of water, deep enough to float in, no soap, and do not take your eyes off the duckling. Taking weight off the foot and leg will most likely help. And you will be able to assess the injury better.

I soaked his foot in Epsom salt and warm water when I got home from work. His doesn't bear weight well on but can hobble around his foot is very swollen. I am going to look in town for some Traumeel tomorrow. After I finish my paper tonight for my nursing ethics class I am going to put him in some warm water and let him float around, if it is not to late that is.

That duck needs antibiotics in my opinion. Not oral, only injectable since it is a foot injury and they have poor circulation to begin with.
Poor little guy. It needs to happen fast because the infection can easily destroy the bone.
If you don't have a vet, I recommend euthanasia. It's not worth watching them suffer.

Back
Top Bottom