Anti-Social Chick?

Suzyr

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Eastern NC
Hi! So I have 4 chicks, one is significantly a loner. At first I thought maybe she was sick, she sleeps more, doesn't eat as much or drink as much as the others and doesn't follow the crowd. But I just don't know. This is my first time with chicks. I just gave her some sugar water to see if it would perk her up, and about 15 mins after I saw her eat more than I had in a while. The other chicks aren't mean to her, but they are definitely more bossy and she just hangs back. She weighs less and is smaller than the other 3 even though they are all the same age. I have been giving her some yogurt and chick feed mix too a few times a day. So has anyone else encountered this? Is she just anti-social? Should I be worried? Is there something else I should be doing? Thanks!

Hi! So I have 4 chicks, one is significantly a loner. At first I thought maybe she was sick, she sleeps more, doesn't eat as much or drink as much as the others and doesn't follow the crowd. But I just don't know. This is my first time with chicks. I just gave her some sugar water to see if it would perk her up, and about 15 mins after I saw her eat more than I had in a while. The other chicks aren't mean to her, but they are definitely more bossy and she just hangs back. She weighs less and is smaller than the other 3 even though they are all the same age. I have been giving her some yogurt and chick feed mix too a few times a day. So has anyone else encountered this? Is she just anti-social? Should I be worried? Is there something else I should be doing? Thanks!

I'm having the same issue with one of mine. She hasn't taken to the sugar water...

I gave mine sugar water with a dropper, so she didn't really have a choice…I put it on the side of her beak until she drank some.

How old are they? It's often helpful to give them water will a little apple cider vinegar in it. Use 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in 1 gallon of water. Also, try giving the struggling chick some mashed, scrambled eggs (as a supplement to the regular chick feed). Eggs are a high protein, and complete food source. The eggs and water (with apple cider vinegar) would be better supplements for a struggling chick than sugar water and yogurt.

I forgot to ask, are all 4 chicks pullets? If they are strait run, you might have 3 males and 1 female, with the female being the smaller, more mellow one.

Last edited:
Hi! So I have 4 chicks, one is significantly a loner. At first I thought maybe she was sick, she sleeps more, doesn't eat as much or drink as much as the others and doesn't follow the crowd. But I just don't know. This is my first time with chicks. I just gave her some sugar water to see if it would perk her up, and about 15 mins after I saw her eat more than I had in a while. The other chicks aren't mean to her, but they are definitely more bossy and she just hangs back. She weighs less and is smaller than the other 3 even though they are all the same age. I have been giving her some yogurt and chick feed mix too a few times a day. So has anyone else encountered this? Is she just anti-social? Should I be worried? Is there something else I should be doing? Thanks!

Hi.. My welsummer Beatrice was anti-social.... She's like 6 wks now and is out in the coop...she use to always sit by herself... At night she would cuddle with others but during the day she would be by herself.....she was the last to get on roost too.... She seems to be getting better about being with others . She's actually pretty social now.. She eats out of my hand but hates being handled... I think it's just a quirky personality... :)

Thanks for your replies!

@song of joy They are all girls, and she is not one of a kind in the clutch either. She is a Buff Orpington and she is one of two. I will try the eggs, is that something she would peck at by herself or should I do mashed hardboiled and feed it to her like I have been the yogurt?

@birdlady79 Im glad to hear of someone else that has a similar chick. She is my most cuddly chick when handled, so she likes people. She is just timid around the other chicks. Im hoping its just her personality and that there isn't actually anything wrong with her.

@hpyfmly Im glad Im not alone!=) Is your picture of an Easter Egger chick? She looks similar to one of mine.=)

Last edited:
The sugar water helped my chick. I just watched her take a drink of water (just plain water) and start eating. I am so relieved! I'm thinking that she'll probably turn out to be anti social too. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom