EE...male or female?

mkr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Hello, this one is only 2.5 weeks old, so I'm not looking for definite answers, just inviting folks to take a guess. It's feathering out black and white so far, but all black and white. No brown on the shoulders. Shoulder feathers stick up like little mohawks...I don't know if that is relevant but it sure is funny.

I am going with boy
What makes you think it's a boy? I'm just curious, I'm not saying anything against what you said, and I don't have any personal experience with EEs, but I thought that 2.5 weeks was much to soon to be able to make any real guess on the sex. What features of the chic are you seeing that makes you think it's a little boy?

(to the OP; Super cute chick, an EE was one of the breeds I hoped to have, but the feed store had sold out of them when I went to go buy my chicks.... Again, very cute, but too young for me to be able to give you a guess!)

what i am looking at is the cone because it looks like it is pretty big and a boy will have 3 large rows of peas on his face but a girl usually has one.

So far I am going by color since the comb is difficult to see. White is a more typical roo color for EE's. If red patches begin to appear on his shoulders it will point even more roo. The comb can't always be relied on to i.d. EE's since they are cross breds and can have combs other than pea combs or modified pea combs. If the comb right now is purely a pea comb and not a single then look to see if it has 3 vertical rows of peas (roo) vs 1 row of vertical peas (pullet). Here is a link showing EE's with various combs which are roos and pullets. The info she gives is not 100% accurate but the pictures are good. There is one showing a good example of a typical 3 row vertical roo pea comb. Hope this helps a bit. Again, your best bet to seeing what gender your chicks will be is to wait until they are well feathered in and the combs have grown more..probably when they are 6 or 7 weeks older than right now..lol. http://www.homegrowngourmet.org/how...crow-gender-identification-in-young-chickens/

I agree with the rest that said pullet. The comb is hard to see, but so far the feathering is very feminine (I have seen EE pullets of that feathering before). And like KieksterChicken said, she doesn't have any red shoulder patches.

Too early for 100% but strongly suspect cockerel. Red patches appear on gold based birds. See the solid white feathers coming in right where you'd look for red? Same thing but that's what you'd see on a silver based male. Not a promising sign if you're hoping for a pullet.

Was definitely hoping for a pullet, but, based on the way he looks and acts, I am also leaning toward a little roo. He just seems very rooster-ish. Sad because I like him and wanted to keep him. We shall see.

Too early for 100% but strongly suspect cockerel. Red patches appear on gold based birds. See the solid white feathers coming in right where you'd look for red? Same thing but that's what you'd see on a silver based male. Not a promising sign if you're hoping for a pullet.

I'm starting to lean towards cockerel as well. I just noticed those shoulder patches you pointed out.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell if mines a boy too??? They are about 3 weeks old and only one has bumps on the 'comb'...I'm new I don't know if that's what it really is or not?

He or she is the only one that will actually hop in my hand when I stick my hand in the brooder. I have 3 EE that are 3 weeks old and the other two are a little skiddish still even tho we pick them up ALOT my 4 year old thinks they are the greatest little things EVER. My 2 year old son actually picked this one out when we got them and he named him Jake ( he is a huge Jake and the neverland pirates fan) I laughed and thought that would be funny calling a hen Jake.....not so funny now that I'm thinking the name might actually fit. We were hoping for all girls since I do have two very young children that love to scream and run around the yard like crazy hooligans!! I guess I'm scared a roo might attack please help if you can I know they are young to tell the sex but I was wondering if someone that was experienced could give me there input

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom