We're on lockdown! Tips?

elitemittens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
First time trying to incubate! :) Lockdown is tomorrow. Any tips on how to keep the humidity up while I'm gone? I'm leaving to go up north tomorrow afternoon and then coming back the next morning. We have 10 eggs that are due to hatch! Any tips on anything from here until after they hatch? :)

First time trying to incubate! :) Lockdown is tomorrow. Any tips on how to keep the humidity up while I'm gone? I'm leaving to go up north tomorrow afternoon and then coming back the next morning. We have 10 eggs that are due to hatch! Any tips on anything from here until after they hatch? :)
You want to keep it up around 57 to 62%..even as high as 65 if you know that's where it's at. You don't want condensation on the windows. That means your humidity is too high. I use sponges along with the wells if I am not seeing the humidity up to where I've mentioned. No new sponges? Use a real clean dish towel, try spreading it out to the point where you get the humidity up. But having said all of that..having all of the wells just may do the trick! I'm in a dry dessert area..so I usually need to add extra help. My guess is, filling those wells right up to the very top, should dothe trick for you.

Two chicks have successfully hatched and one more pipping!
smile.png
Yaay! Anymore yet?

we have five chicks hatched out of 10 eggs! No more pips yet. The humidity dropped down to 25% or so last night and it was at the right humidity when I went to bed and my family got up and checked it at around 7 in the morning. There was no pips since yesterday... will they still be fine?

we have five chicks hatched out of 10 eggs! No more pips yet. The humidity dropped down to 25% or so last night and it was at the right humidity when I went to bed and my family got up and checked it at around 7 in the morning. There was no pips since yesterday... will they still be fine?

What day are you on? Could go into day 22 without worrying, some folks go longer. I don't I will help if nothing happens by then.
And, I have found, when the humidity shows that all is good at one time, then there is a big drop the next, it's usually the hydrometer you have. It will stick to a certain reading, then bam, it will change. Just a thought. 5 babies..you will have to share photos!

today(the 13th) is day 21. when would be the last day that they would possibly hatch? these five hatched on day 20 and then no more on day 21.
these are the five :) They are either isa brown to isa brown or isa to buff orp.
We got the eggs from my moms friend. Thanks for your input!

today(the 13th) is day 21. when would be the last day that they would possibly hatch? these five hatched on day 20 and then no more on day 21.
these are the five :) They are either isa brown to isa brown or isa to buff orp.
We got the eggs from my moms friend. Thanks for your input!
I would give them a couple of more days. These are very cute...what are they..you have whites! I love whites, and is that a chipmunk color I see?

I'm not very good with my chicken colors...:) there are four whites and the one reddish brown. Two of the white ones have black spots and one of them has a black spot and what looks like eyeliner(its sooo cute!)

556925_3491836434418_354246877_n.jpg

Ooo, black spots..you will have a splash coloring going on. I love splash. Have been trying to get me a blue splash for a year now! I had a girl that white with spots as a baby..here is a photo of her grown up, sharing a next box. Bet yours will color out like this. :) They are pretty.
Looking for photo. :) Found it..of course, she is the one on the left. Very pretty girl. The one on the right is a wheaten Ameraucana. And oh yes, the white gal laid a colored egg..she was a leghorn mixed with an Ameraucana.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom