Rubber Boots or Disposable water proof shoes?

justmeinflorida

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
Zephyrhills, Florida
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering what works best when tending to your chickens. Disposable water proof shoes or rubber boots?

I was thinking disposable would be easy, one size would fit all of us and you slip them over your shoes. Then toss when your done. Downfall you have to keep buying them.

Rubber Boots, throw them on and when your done rinse and reuse.

But then I also thought about rubber over boots that go over your shoes...hmmm!

What do you guys use that work best and why? Also brand and were you purchased would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:
We use Crocs...have an "outside" pair that we leave by the back door for tending the chickens & yard...those pair NEVER go in the house.

crocs510358_107457_jb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks fort he reply...funny I never thought to use Crocs. I actually bought two pair of similar shoes a month ago called DAWGS. got them in black and blue and the liners are removable. Got them from a deal site for $12.99 each with free shipping.

If you don't have ants or deep mud, crocs do the job. If you do, rubber boots. I have both, and choose according to the situation. They don't come in the house either way, ;)

In the winter, I wear a leather Wellington by Muck Boots. They come inside the laundry room door to warm up and dry out.

I wear the Tack Muck Boots. They are great and I keep them by the back door. I got tired of buying cheap rain boots. You could get cheap rain boots or rubber boots from TSC though. The muck boots are also more comfortable.

We use Crocs...have an "outside" pair that we leave by the back door for tending the chickens & yard...those pair NEVER go in the house.

crocs510358_107457_jb.jpg
I have a blue pair of "pseudo-crocs", just a cheap knockoff but I only paid $6.00 for them. Like you, I keep them sitting right outside the door. Head for the coop, slip out of my house shoes and into my coop shoes. Come back and reverse the process. Easy! And easy to keep them clean.....just hose 'em off once in awhile. I've heard some folks keep a bunch of grocery bags near the coop, slip them over their shoes and tie the tops, then toss them when they come out.

Last edited:
If you don't have ants or deep mud, crocs do the job. If you do, rubber boots. I have both, and choose according to the situation. They don't come in the house either way, ;)

In the winter, I wear a leather Wellington by Muck Boots. They come inside the laundry room door to warm up and dry out.
No mud really just a lot of sand and plenty of ants. So I might just go with some kind of boot.

Back
Top Bottom