anyone know what this is ..

wny egger

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
wny
I noticed this a couple weeks ago ..I tried finging something on it but with no luck ..its the white on the ears ..it wasn't there before ..you can see it better in the last pic ..its on both sides ..sher hasn't stopped laying or acted like it bothers her ..any ideas ..

I enlarged your pictures and to the best that I can see - I think that it is just normal white earlobe coloration. It does not look like any sort of problem.

I have seen a few threads where the person thought their chicken with similar white on the ear lobes thought they had favus, a fungal infection, but many said it was normal coloring. Favus is treated with miconazole cream, and the use of gloves is recommended as favus can cause ringworm in humans. Here are a couple of threads to read, the first that obviously has favus on the comb, and another with earlobes like yours:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/154624/favus-on-rooster-comb-please-help
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/692594/is-it-favus

thanks I see it looks real bad on the one pic in the first link but the second link looks like mine ...I am going to treat her with antifunal cream ..I am putting vasilean on all their legs for scaly leg mites and now their combs and ears and waddles with fungal cream ..boy they are not going to be happy ..gunna be like greesed pigs ..

thanks I see it looks real bad on the one pic in the first link but the second link looks like mine ...I am going to treat her with antifunal cream ..I am putting vasilean on all their legs for scaly leg mites and now their combs and ears and waddles with fungal cream ..boy they are not going to be happy ..gunna be like greesed pigs ..

I think your hen might be a mixed breed egglayer- she may have leghorn mixed in her genetics, which can show up as a white looking ear in mixed reds.
A breeder told me to use a vitamin E oil on the comb, and I have found this to work very well.

In our Production Red flock, 79 of the birds don't have the white ear trait, but 3 of the hens do. Interestingly enough, all the hens with the white on the ear lay a pale, nearly white egg which may, or, may not be a coincidence. In PR there is leghorn mixed into their genetic background. We noticed it when they were at point of lay. The white ear has never spread. I will be very curious to see if this treatment works for you.

As for putting vaseline on the legs for scaly leg mite, vaseline is thick, unwieldy and greasy, so it's difficult to get in every deep crevice. So, it's better to do a liquid dip if you can, and touch up with vaseline.

We have a bantam roo who had scaly leg mite badly when we got him. For a month we dipped him daily to his hocks in mineral oil poured in a cup. I would then put vaseline on the driest spots. Then, we "floured" his wet legs in DE as the mineral oil would get everywhere and on his feathers. His treatment was touched up once a week for many months. Doing treatment this way creates an oily "mud" coating that sticks to affected areas much better than without DE, and doesn't get on everything they touch. He is a freeranger too, so this treatment worked especially well. He looked tremendously better in one month when the affected skin began to slough off and show fresh healthy new skin. Best of luck.

I noticed the white on here awhile ago and thought maybe she was a cross of a white egg layer ..it hasn't spread and it hasn't gotten any worse either ..I no the vasilean is a pain in the butt ..trying to put it on at nite when they perch but then they slip on the perch .I am afraid they will hurt themselves falling ...so I thought in the morning before letting them out ,but was afraid it would interfere with their egg laying ....I think I am going to change it to dipping them as you said ..and give them a DE dusting when I do .they need a good dusting for lice anyways....she lays a nice brown egg ..altho I do have 2 that lay a lighter colored egg..i am not sure which hens lay the dark ones and who lay the lighter colored ones ..all 4 are production birds ..

I read I can use cooking oil spray on the legs as well..i no I have a ton of work ahead of me ...I just got my new birds in the other day and need to have everyone healthy by the time they all get introduced to each other ..I am splitting the run and building a new coop as well as a few tractors to move them around the yard ..pallets are going to come in handy for these builds..

that's a nice looking roo you have for an avatar..is that a marron ..I just got 7 willies , 6 hens and a roo .[I think..lol].hope he turns out to be a good looker..i also got 11 Columbian wyandottes..all about 5 days old ..

funny how all the bad stuff happens at once ..first scaly leg mites , then this white on the ears ..and my neighbor told me the other morn there was a big red fox hanging around my coop ..dealing with pasty butt with 2 babys and well lets see ..oh yeah my one cat isn't eating as well as she should ..ugh ..so goes the life of a animal lover ..lol..my wifes ready to string me up ..lol

I noticed the white on here awhile ago and thought maybe she was a cross of a white egg layer ..it hasn't spread and it hasn't gotten any worse either ..I no the vasilean is a pain in the butt ..trying to put it on at nite when they perch but then they slip on the perch .I am afraid they will hurt themselves falling ...so I thought in the morning before letting them out ,but was afraid it would interfere with their egg laying ....I think I am going to change it to dipping them as you said ..and give them a DE dusting when I do .they need a good dusting for lice anyways....she lays a nice brown egg ..altho I do have 2 that lay a lighter colored egg..i am not sure which hens lay the dark ones and who lay the lighter colored ones ..all 4 are production birds ..

I read I can use cooking oil spray on the legs as well..i no I have a ton of work ahead of me ...I just got my new birds in the other day and need to have everyone healthy by the time they all get introduced to each other ..I am splitting the run and building a new coop as well as a few tractors to move them around the yard ..pallets are going to come in handy for these builds..

that's a nice looking roo you have for an avatar..is that a marron ..I just got 7 willies , 6 hens and a roo .[I think..lol].hope he turns out to be a good looker..i also got 11 Columbian wyandottes..all about 5 days old ..

funny how all the bad stuff happens at once ..first scaly leg mites , then this white on the ears ..and my neighbor told me the other morn there was a big red fox hanging around my coop ..dealing with pasty butt with 2 babys and well lets see ..oh yeah my one cat isn't eating as well as she should ..ugh ..so goes the life of a animal lover ..lol..my wifes ready to string me up ..lol

Yes, and another thing I tried that worked is to put oil and water in a bowl, and dip them- the oil clings to the bird's legs and you use far less oil. This also works well for coating veggies for baking, like brussel sprouts and cabbage where you need to get oil in deeply. lol

I think you will be happy with how well the mineral oil and DE works together. The bird will have whitish "boots" but for us, this combo worked very quickly and effectively. Within days, the roo was walking easier. Every part of the bird's feet have to be treated, even the underneaths, so dipping in oil than DE is much faster and gets everywhere. Also, he won't be slipping off the roost, and getting grease on his tail. lol You'll see. lol

Actually, the bird in my avatar is the one that had the affected legs. He's an Old English Game Bantam, Black breasted brown- a super great bird. He's only 1 3/4 lb, but he's the master of the universe here- he's kicked the tar out of the 8 lb Black Coppper Marans when they got out of their pen, and the PR run off screaming if he pecks them. lol Unbelievebly fast. He is a wise old soul with a great personality, so no one has ever been hurt, and they all pony up to him. lol

Your Wellsummers are laying the pretty, spotted egg and the darker egg, right?

Yes, and another thing I tried that worked is to put oil and water in a bowl, and dip them- the oil clings to the bird's legs and you use far less oil. This also works well for coating veggies for baking, like brussel sprouts and cabbage where you need to get oil in deeply. lol 

I think you will be happy with how well the mineral oil and DE works together. The bird will have whitish "boots" but for us, this combo worked very quickly and effectively. Within days, the roo was walking easier. Every part of the bird's feet have to be treated, even the underneaths, so dipping in oil than DE is much faster and gets everywhere. Also, he won't be slipping off the roost, and getting grease on his tail. lol You'll see. lol

Actually, the bird in my avatar is the one that had the affected legs. He's an Old English Game Bantam, Black breasted brown- a super great bird. He's only 1 3/4 lb, but he's the master of the universe here- he's kicked the tar out of the 8 lb Black Coppper Marans when they got out of their pen, and the PR run off screaming if he pecks them. lol Unbelievebly fast. He is a wise old soul with a great personality, so no one has ever been hurt, and they all pony up to him. lol

Your Wellsummers are laying the pretty, spotted egg and the darker egg, right?

I'm going to use this. Their legs don't look too scaly but might as well catch it now. Also admire your rooster. Looks a real prince.

Back
Top Bottom