quail

zayd

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Do quail make their nest by themselves or we have to put grass in the nest box and then will they make their nest and when quail lay eggs if there a nest box in the cage will she lay the eggs inside it or outside it :/ can anyone tell me and when quail start crowing what does it mean ??:eek:

You'll have to give them grass or small sticks. Coturnix don't have a lot of wild instinct left so they might not ever build a nest for you, or they might go right to it. They will sometimes lay in a nesting box, mostly they lay wherever they feel like it.

You're way too worried about crowing. It means absolutely nothing. It's a vocalization they use to locate a mate in the wild. In captivity they crow when they want something or when they don't like something.

I know that coturnix quail cant brood their own eggs but sometime very rare they can become broody but the clutch normally how many eggs do it contain and can we touch the eggs ?????:/ :/ :/

A few of my quail do sit on eggs. I have a lot of straw in the coop and most of them will make little nests in it to sleep in, and then somehow they all decide (or most) to lay their eggs in 1-2 of the nests. I will shoo them all out of their nests and find the ones with the treasures. Sometimes 8 eggs in one nest. They are gathered daily so I know they are each taking turns laying in the nest-of-the-day.

Why do quail like sandbath is it a part in their breeding step

A few of my quail do sit on eggs. I have a lot of straw in the coop and most of them will make little nests in it to sleep in, and then somehow they all decide (or most) to lay their eggs in 1-2 of the nests. I will shoo them all out of their nests and find the ones with the treasures. Sometimes 8 eggs in one nest. They are gathered daily so I know they are each taking turns laying in the nest-of-the-day. 

How often do you clean the coop and replace the straw? How many birds are in the coop?

I dont know why my male quail losing feather on its head is it sick ???

Last edited:
* I have place coturnix eggs under my budgie and hatching day aproaching soon smile.png but can i remove one day before they hatch from the budgie because if they hatch inside with the broody budgie she will try to feed can i remove it one day before and normally what day they normally hatch 16 or 17 or 18 !? Help plzz!!smile.png and normally how many hours does it for them to come out of the egg shelf??

Back
Top Bottom