INCUBATOR EXPERTS PLEASE - There is a little hole on top of my Incubator

Saved By Grace

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
there is a little hole ontop of my incubator and im wondering what it is used for. I have the option of closing it or keeping it opened. The model im using is Janoel 24. Assistance Please :)

I don't have that particular incubator but with most you remove the plug if water droplets form on the viewing window at hatch time.

there is a little hole ontop of my incubator and im wondering what it is used for. I have the option of closing it or keeping it opened. The model im using is Janoel 24. Assistance Please :)
Leave it open and if you have any other "holes", you might want to open those too especially the last week of incubation. If it were me, I'd have all the vents open from day one.

https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/12 Volt Hova-Bator.pdf
Some generic instructions for another incubator to better help explaining the process. I've read that the instructions on the one you have are pretty unclear and incomplete.

You need a certain amount of humidity so to much moisture isn't lost in the egg. Then to aid the chicks from sticking to the shell when it is pipping the shell and having to move in a circle to get out. Usually that's 50-60% for 18 days then 65-70% for the final 3 days. Some breeds need a little more like japanese bantams that are weaker so they are in the shell much longer trying to get out. Tiny breeds still have the same thickness shell to get through.
With little table top models it's hard to keep those humidity levels with a plug out. None of them I am aware of are air tight so it's not an O2 issue to remove the vent it's a humidity regulation issue.
I'd leave the plug in until they hatch. If water droplets appear remove it until they go away, which will be when the chicks dry.
Have a good day.

Leave it open and if you have any other "holes", you might want to open those too especially the last week of incubation. If it were me, I'd have all the vents open from day one.

I suppose it depends on what you are hatching, but if you are hatching Muscovy duck eggs for example, too much humidity during most of the incubation will end up in full term DOA's as will very little air circulation among other things. You ever have dead full term birds and wonder what the heck happened?

Learning a little every day But, those holes on incubator should stay closed until you go on lockdown. Those holes are humidity valves if you have to much humidity undo the holes and leave off until your back down to the right humidity. Some people leave them off and some do But, keep in mind at your releasing your air and it could cause a drop in temp and cause a bad hatch rate. Also these plugs have nothing to do with oxygen for eggs. Humidity is what gives your eggs oxygen it is sucked through the pores on the egg and turns to gas which develops a air pocket. Also I learned from a vet who has raised chickens for years at you get your best hatch rates by keeping temps around 101 °F in a still Air Incubator and humidity levels in between 30-45 and if have had great results by this. Im Not to sure about a moving air system But, I just got one and I'm keeping temps at 100°F and humidity 30-45.

Back
Top Bottom