Chicken Fleas Found In Water?

smogman

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 2, 2013
For the past 3 weeks, I've been seeing fleas in the water every morning. There are so many of them. The thing is I'm not sure if they are chicken fleas. They are a smaller than ants, but with yellowish brown color and 2 tentacles coming out of the head and they jump. I don't have any pictures at the moment, my camera really sucks. I tried google images but I can't find a similar picture.

Anyway, the good thing is I haven't found them on my chickens yet. They had a mites problem recently but I got rid of them with Diatomaceous Earth and Ivermectin Pour-On.

The only place where I find the fleas are in the water. I have a 50 gallon plastic container filled with water to the top. I lost the lid to the container so I replaced it with a flat plywood. Every morning when I open the lid that's when I see them. Then I use a small bowl to scoop them up and I pour them out into the grass. By the way, the chickens don't have access to the grassy area, they are completely blocked off, and yes I do give the chickens the water from the container but I make sure that there are no fleas in it and that they drink from a seperate bowl.

So how do I get rid of the fleas? I will upload a picture as soon as I get a good camera.

--EDIT--

I'm so retarded, since they are not on me or my chickens and I don't see theym anywhere else, I'll just cover the container completely and hope that they go away.

Last edited:
Are they sand fleas? Are you near the coast? Not that all sand fleas are near the coastal areas strictly...

Also, an animal bearing fleas may have died and released a host of the hungry hoppers in that area. If the animal was sick for a long time, it could have been supporting literally thousands of fleas, they're very opportunistic regarding unwell animals.

Edit: I lived a long way from the coast and we still had to close the doors at a certain time of the year because someone had put landfill of coastal sand in the garden beds, and every year, a whole tide of hopping bloodsuckers would march in line across the lawn and smash against our doors trying to get in. Sand fleas are common enough in suburban backyards where people have taken coastal sand for sandpits, garden beds, etc, as well. There's a lot of ways they can come to inland places, and breed there generation after generation, far from their natural home. You couldn't see the sand they hatched from either, it was long since covered by lawn. But millions hatched from it every year. MILLIONS! lol.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Yes I live near the coast, but it's not sand fleas thank goodness. I took the lid off of the water container last night and when I came back this morning I counted 7 of them in the water. I have a picture now. It's the best shot I can get.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/1abd1a321408245

I haven't had any problems with them yet other than them being in the water. I just want to make sure what I'm dealing with here. Anyone know what they are?

Not fleas. Looks like perhaps termites? Something else, but definitely not fleas.

I'd check the wood above the water bowl if there is any. Or metal, I've seen them make tunnels built onto metals too, and other things they can't eat through.

Back
Top Bottom