getting babies tomorrow!!!

chickenluver24

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
I'm new to the whole raising chicks thing! I got some helpful tips from a friend of mine but just wanted to get as much help as possible any tips for a new chicken owner??? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Biggest help to me was having a brooder large enough where I could put the heat lamp on on end and letting it be cool(er) on the other. That way they can self-regulate their own heat.

At first I had the lamp right in the middle and was trying to keep the whole thing the "right" temperature. Way more work, and it wasn't what the chickies needed.

Oh.. And horizontal chicken nipple waterers. Took 15 minutes to train them, and I went from changing dirty water 4 times a day to filling the small bucket every couple of days.

Are your chicks in a brooder indoors? If so, they only need a 60 W. bulb with the weather warmer now..at least it is here. If you have a nice place outdoors, I put mine out when they have their wing feathers in. About 2 weeks. I have a nursery coop, they go in there with no heat in the day..we've been in the 60's and 70's, then back down into the 50's. When it gets down into the 40's at night, I do use a 60 W. bulb for them to be under at night.
Older birds..outdoors> just have a nice comfortable coop for them with a few nest boxes and a nice roost for them. Nor sure how many you have..?? Just make sure that you don't over crowd. That is a set up for sharing things that aren't nice to chickens...mites for example. Easy to keep them mite free with a good ol dose of seven dust for veggies..throughout their bodies about every few months. They are pretty easy to keep, and I love personally, letting mine free range, and I have back yard chickens. I use pine chips in the coop..some use sand. You may want to experiment with what you want to use.
The best thing you can do when a question comes up is to go to the top and type in just what it is you are wondering about. Numerous threads on numerous chickens subjects! Enjoy your flock!

Last edited:
Very nice gander!

Thank you, Cynthia12, I have gotten almost 20 years of use out of it and I just cleaned it up and have it out side airing out
as I have some egg's in the incubator well 10 duck egg's that is ....

These were the last ones to get it dirty
jumpy.gif

These are the ducks whose egg's are in the incubator right now
wee.gif

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
Thanks everybody! My chicks are doing good and we got 6 pullets! Two white Leghorns and 4 Rhode island reds :)

Back
Top Bottom