Rooster enters food chain

Mister B

Songster
8 Years
Feb 7, 2013
NW Alabama
I am sad today. My rooster "Steeb" (he was named by a little girl with a speech impediment: "Nobody likes you Steeb", He was Steve, but Steeb stuck) along with 3 of his girls were killed and eaten by neighborhood dogs. I approached the neighbor that owns the dogs. She paid for my chickens and said that they were just strays she had taken in. I told her it was nice that she would do that, but they had just cost her $50. I know the dogs had been chasing my goats and the cattle. I let her know that since they were hers she would be responsible if they killed the goats or the cows. The goats are about $100 each and the cows are $600-$700 for the calves. What she did was her decision, but she would be responsible financially for any livestock killed or injured. When her husband came home, he sounded very angry. The dogs were not there this morning when I left for work. I am getting more chickens this weekend. I was hoping to have my rooster, a nice big Barred Rock. I will have to replace him now. I miss my chickens. Its quiet in the backyard. :(

I'm sorry for your loss, that happened to me before also and it's not a fun experience

Steeb and I had several run ins. Most of them involved him protecting his girls. Last time, I went to pick one up that had gotten lost in the far reaches of the pasture. She was missing over night and he was obviously upset. But it was dark and I figured she would be sleeping somewhere. In the morning, I went to feed, hoping she would have made it back. No luck. Steeb was really crowing up a storm. I hear her clucking across the pasture, so I went after her (I was in my teacher clothes) Steeb in close pursuit. We were rescuing his girl! I found her and picked her up. Steeb eyed me warily and gave me a few clucks. I started across the pasture when Doofus (his girl, she acted REALLY dumb when she was little) started thinking I was going to kill her. Steeb to the Rescue! He nailed me good on the side of my knee. I didn't notice until one of my students at school said I was bleeding. He had bit through my pants and got my leg. It hurt pretty bad. By that afternoon, it was really stiff and I could barely walk. I got over it soon enough. He and I laughed about it after a while. Steeb was a great rooster. I know those dogs paid a price to get him and his girls. Poor Steeb.

Last edited:
I've had a few of those hits. Looks like you've been shot when it bruises up! But you're right it's just their nature to be protective like that. He sounds like an exceptionally good rooster and I'm really sorry you lost him and the girls.

These things really stink but at least the neighbor was good enough to pay what sounds like a halfway decent price for your birds, and hopefully the husband took care of the problem permanently.

If he didn't and it were my place the dogs were harassing I would shoot them at their next appearance, especially if they are harassing your cows, chickens and even goats can be replaced relatively cheaply but if they chase your cows and they step in a hole and break a leg even then you will have to put them down and cows are expensive.

I've never seen or heard of a dog eating a chicken. They typically kill for the sport of the chase and leave them lie untouched. My neighbor wasn't as lucky as yours was because the chickens that her dog killed were 4 French Copper Marans brought in from out of state. With the price of the birds, shipping boxes and shipping she was facing a bill for a little over $300. She paid it and the dogs still roam occasionally. It's good that the neighbors pay for the damage but it also can set an egg laying operation back 6 months.

I had never really seen a dog that would do more than kill and maybe walk around or play with them afterward either. My neighbor has an airedale terrier and has tried several times to raise chickens just turned loose. The dog will take off at a run and give a sharp cry when he gets to the invisible fence and the collar shocks him. Off to the chase catches a chicken and runs back to his doghouse. Again he gets to the invisible fence, cries and usually loses his bird at that time then snatches it back up and goes in the doghouse to eat it. I called the neighbor a few times but his remedy was to beat the dog severely with a stick. In my rationalization it's just better to remain silent and figure he is providing natural food for the dog since he doesn't have enough sense to keep his animals protected, even from one another.

Sorry about Stebe. Maybe the new one can be called Steby.

I've never seen or heard of a dog eating a chicken. They typically kill for the sport of the chase and leave them lie untouched. My neighbor wasn't as lucky as yours was because the chickens that her dog killed were 4 French Copper Marans brought in from out of state. With the price of the birds, shipping boxes and shipping she was facing a bill for a little over $300. She paid it and the dogs still roam occasionally. It's good that the neighbors pay for the damage but it also can set an egg laying operation back 6 months.
I have a dog that WILL eat a chicken at any chance he can get. He is my biggest predator that I have to worry about. He has eaten more than a dozen chickens in the last two years. (Yes, I know. If he wasn't my son's dog he wouldn't still be around.) He will eat every single one and there will only be feathers left behind so I know that dogs can and do kill to eat. In fact, I've rarely found a carcass that has just been left.

Of course, if it wasn't my own dog, I'd have to deal with another since I live in an area where everyone lets their dog run free and I have several that camp out just off of my property.

I have a dog that WILL eat a chicken at any chance he can get. He is my biggest predator that I have to worry about. He has eaten more than a dozen chickens in the last two years. (Yes, I know. If he wasn't my son's dog he wouldn't still be around.) He will eat every single one and there will only be feathers left behind so I know that dogs can and do kill to eat. In fact, I've rarely found a carcass that has just been left.

Of course, if it wasn't my own dog, I'd have to deal with another since I live in an area where everyone lets their dog run free and I have several that camp out just off of my property.
And that's why I was careful to say that they typically kill for sport instead of they always kill for sport.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom