Poop Scooping Boogie

mamabear72

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Northern Nevada
First off I need to disclose that I'm a chicken NEWBIE but thanks to the wonderful folks here I've learned soooo much.
But on that note...I never, Never, NEVER imagined how much poop our new feathered friends could create
ep.gif

We have dogs, ferrets and kids so I've had my fair share with poop but the amount 7 chickens can produce in a short period of time surpass all the three above mentioned combined, ha ha.

We live in the high desert, with practically no humidity what so ever so even though I would love to use the deep litter method I don't think it would work well here so I've opt'd for construction grade sand along with Sweet PDZ (LOVE that stuff!)

Our little coop sits in a secure area on sand thats about 10ft x 15 feet. An area that I scoop at LEAST 4 times a day. We have Three 9 wk olds and Two 5 wk olds (one is a rooster, we're sure
sad.png
) Since our chickens are new and still uber exciting we're out there several times a day, observing their antics and hoping they'll bond w/ us and someday not run away when we offer out a hand. So any time I'm w/ them I'll do a quick scoop of the entire area, only to wait five mins and have them lovingly drop me little presents once again.

Now, FINALLY to my question...
What do you sand users use to scoop and how often do you have to do it?
I've made three different scoops but honestly NONE of them work well. I cannot get more than a couple cups of sand scooped up at a time w/ out having trouble. I guess I had visions of my little homemade hardware wire covered contraptions easily plowing through the sand with ease...so not the case. I would love any suggestions or links to somewhere I can purchase a scoop that works easily.

Here's a pic of my creations. The little yellow rake works best for picking up one "present" at a time but the wire quickly bends.
The middle one works best if I pull it backwards but it's small and doesn't get much at a time. And the last one (which I thought would be the bomb-diggty) doesn't do much at all. Maybe it's because I entirely wrapped it with hardware cloth/wire so the bottom kinda catches and causes it to stick in the sand. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I use a large cat litter box scooper. I have a larger rake with a mesh netting on it that also works wonders.

I used a large slotted spoon in one hand and a large cat scoop in the other. The spoon is thin and it is easy to scoop with. I can only scoop a poop or two with the spoon and then put it in the large scooper. Also works well in the poop box in the coop.

I used a large slotted spoon in one hand and a large cat scoop in the other. The spoon is thin and it is easy to scoop with. I can only scoop a poop or two with the spoon and then put it in the large scooper. Also works well in the poop box in the coop.
@lularat Do you do this for your whole run? Wow, kudos to you! If I got down and scooped our chicken run/area with a spoon I wouldn't be able to get back up
bow.gif

maybe I'll try to create something like yours with an extended handle
smile.png

Yes, I do scoop the whole run. I have six girls and scoop twice a day. The spoon I use is larger than a regular spoon and has a longer handle. It really doesn't take but a few minutes each time.

Yes, I do scoop the whole run. I have six girls and scoop twice a day. The spoon I use is larger than a regular spoon and has a longer handle. It really doesn't take but a few minutes each time.
Thank you for sharing lularat...Monday I'm heading to our restaurant supply store for a long slotted spoon then!!!
wee.gif

I havent had much luck making a giant pooper scooper either. I have 8 chickens and 3 ducks in two separate12x12 runs. I am thinking about making a sifting tray like miners or archeologists use. My plan is to make a tray with 4 sides and attach hardware cloth to the bottom. I'll rake the run then shovel the poo sand into the sifter.

Last edited:
I havent had much luck making a giant pooper scooper either. I have 8 chickens and 3 ducks in two separate12x12 runs. I am thinking about making a sifting tray like miners or archeologists use. My plan is to make a tray with 4 sides and attach hardware cloth to the bottom. I'll rake the run then shovel the poo sand into the sifter.
@jenniemig I LOVE the sifting tray idea! I'd really like to see pics after you make it.
smile.png
I may just have to give it a try too. If I just chilled out a bit about the poo, I'm sure things wouldn't feel so messy to me. I know my chickens are outdoor animals and not cuddly pets like I wish they were. I need to realize they'll never be a "neat" pet and enjoy them for what they are instead of obsess over a tidy zen garden type sand area that I've dreamed up in my head
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom