Please help, what new babies are these?

help4me

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Hi,

My son who is only 8 was so honored to have the teacher offer them to him, we couldn't say no.:) Even though we have chicks in the incubator and eggs under our hen We only have lavender Orpingtons. We have no idea what they are. She bought them from TSC. The brown one is the LOUDEST little chick we have ever heard. She (hopefully) is called Chirpy. :) The other two are not as loud their skin is black underneath and they have feathering on their legs, with 5 toes. I think the 2 yellow ones maybe silkies?

Thanks to all that will help us out!

Last edited:
Oh, thank you so much for the confirmation. My daughters 11th Birthday is on Easter this year and she really wanted Silkies. (We were thinking of getting some eggs to hatch, then her brother got these and gave her the one in the picture.) It just seemed so unlikely that we could of ended up with 2 silkies from TSC. She is so over the top happy and excited to have it confirmed that Lilly is a silkie. :) Now, we just need to find out what the little loud mouth named Chirpy is. We really wanted to be able to give updates to his 3rd grade class. He is taking this responsibility very seriously. Thanks again so much!

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm new to this site but I was looking to adopt a baby duck and I live on long lsland new York ans I've had one before and I loved it, if anyone could help me I would appreciate it

@help4me The top one looks like a hatchery R.I.R. (Rhode Island Red) to my untrained eye...though I did bring home 3 of them and that one looks like my 3 is the only reason I am offering an opinion. They can be noisy little buggars, my 2 noisiest are both R.I.R.'s

Thank you so much for replying. I truly have never heard such a loud voice from one little chick, not only that but she hardly ever stops talking. She looks more like a wild hawk. We are new to chickens. Last year my daughter picked out 7 Lavender Orpingtons to hatch. We got them from e-bay and despite our mistakes 3 hatched. It was an amazing experience. The chicks grew up in our house until they HAD to go outside. Unfortunately we ended up with 2 roosters. They started fighting over the winter so we had to separate them. We had hoped once they were free ranging they would settle down, but they didn't. My sons roosters was the one that we sold. He was so sad that when the teacher offered him the chicks he said yes, without asking us first. :) So, how could we so no to these cuties. Now, that we have them he really wants to find out as much as he can and to send in pictures as they grow up to the class. He is hoping to bring in some eggs to his teachers next year, although it looks like only the RIR will be the only real egg layer out of the three. Oh, I just hope we don't end up with all roosters. Who knew that chickens would be so addictive, well everyone here, that's why I joined to ask for help this site has been so wonderful over the last year, I have learned so much.

It really is a great resource here. This is my first year so I am new also (though we did have chickens sporadically in my youth) . We got 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 R.I.R.'s and the Buff's are FAR quieter and more easy going than the Reds but part of that may be because I am almost certain one of the Red's is a rooster and is a bit more of a show off and bossy butt. Good luck with the newbies. I hope they merge into the flock easily and are all girls.

Thank you all for your replies. I do know for sure that Lily and Buttercup are silkies, as for the little loud mouth named Chirpy I was able to call the TSC where the teacher got them. All they could tell me is that it is a Bantam. I am thinking maybe a EE? She is so small compared to the silkies.

Thank you all for your replies. I do know for sure that Lily and Buttercup are silkies, as for the little loud mouth named Chirpy I was able to call the TSC where the teacher got them. All they could tell me is that it is a Bantam. I am thinking maybe a EE? She is so small compared to the silkies.

Well give it a week or two and put up some photos of them so we can take a look maybe come one can confirm a EE ......

Our EE flock
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom