Identity Crisis! Golden Comets or Buff Orpingtons????

Buffs or Golden Comets?

• Buff Orpingtons!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Golden Comets!

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Could be either...

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Neither (Comment with suggestion!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JericaLB

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Small Town, USA
Ok so my husband and I bought our first chicks about three weeks ago. We hurried to Tractor Supply after a man on the phone told me they had Buff Orpington chicks in stock (I had been calling for three weeks waiting...) however when we got there we were told that all they had were Golden Comet pullets. However my husband was tired of waiting and we had already bought the coop so we went ahead and got six.

Like I said the chicks are now almost three weeks old and I am beginning to doubt whether or not they are Golden Comets. They aren't nearly red enough and two of them are growing so much faster than the others. They have the long tail feathers in the pictures. I am starting to believe that we actually got six straight-run Buff Orpingtons. However my husband wants to wait before we call Tractor Supply to inform them of the mistake. (I'm not mad, but there was a price difference between straight-run and pullets and I feel they need to know about the incorrect information.)

Please take a look and let me know if we do in fact have Buffs or if I'm going crazy. Thank you!

Ok so my husband and I bought our first chicks about three weeks ago. We hurried to Tractor Supply after a man on the phone told me they had Buff Orpington chicks in stock (I had been calling for three weeks waiting...) however when we got there we were told that all they had were Golden Comet pullets. However my husband was tired of waiting and we had already bought the coop so we went ahead and got six. Like I said the chicks are now almost three weeks old and I am beginning to doubt whether or not they are Golden Comets. They aren't nearly red enough and two of them are growing so much faster than the others. They have the long tail feathers in the pictures. I am starting to believe that we actually got six straight-run Buff Orpingtons. However my husband wants to wait before we call Tractor Supply to inform them of the mistake. (I'm not mad, but there was a price difference between straight-run and pullets and I feel they need to know about the incorrect information.) Please take a look and let me know if we do in fact have Buffs or if I'm going crazy. Thank you!
They are not BOs. Sorry.

My educated guess would be BOs, I have F1 and F2 HNRxBO and the chicks I have gotten from them look like this. But mine are a cross so not true to breed. After consulting to my friend Google I believe that the GC would be more red and white (because they are a cross between NHR and WPR)
Incase you wanted to know the chick that is being held in the last picture is a male (at least compared to the far shots of the others)And the two in the front middle and left of the first shot look like females (using tail length sexing, worked on all of the NHRxBO mixes last year and will start sexing this years first chicks next week)

So the two with longer tails are females? But that would mean I have four roosters! That's no good...
If those are Gold Comets then they are all females. They are sexable by color. Gold Comet males are white, females are a mix of redish gold and some white.

Gold Comets are very nice chickens and lay larger and more frequently than Buff Orpingtons.

If they are Buff Orpintons that would not apply of course.

Last edited:
I'm going to keep disagreeing with the GC people (do you people know what the look like?)

A golden comet is a cross between a New Hampshire red and a White Plymouth Rock one can clearly see that they have lots of red and white.

buff orpingtons are just buff. unless I'm colour blind (which I just did one of those online tests to make sure I wasn't) I am NOT seeing any red or white in these chicks to make one believe that they are GC

Or as you said before they could be mutts, but even my F2 NHRxBO looked more BO than anything

He had a lot of buff in him at 2 weeks

You people can keep calling them GC but clearly they lack red and white in their feathers at 3 weeks

Back
Top Bottom