LOCKDOWN??????????

dannyisforreal

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2013
LOST
What is it and when should i do it. My eggs are supposed to hatch tomorrow am i to late to early? I CANT WAIT
wee.gif

Thanks, Dan

Lockdown is just locking down the bator, as in not opening it. It usually takes place at day 18,whenver you stop turning the eggs, you add water to up the humidity and lock down the bator and don't open it so that the heat and humidity doesn't fluctuate to much in the last few days. Although if you do have to open it, you should still be ok. Just try to not open it if you don't absolutely have to.

Lockdown question...

On day 18, should I take my eggs out of the carton (make shift turner) and lay them flat in the incubator?

Yup, take them out and just lay them in the bator, get your humidity perfect, shut the bator and don't open it until you feel as if they aren't going to hatch any more.

Thank you. I know I'm late but just did it... lol
tongue.png
. I have to fill up the pan 2 a day anyways so it won't work for my incubator but ill try it.
Thanks, Dan

Thank you. I know I'm late but just did it... lol
tongue.png
. I have to fill up the pan 2 a day anyways so it won't work for my incubator but ill try it.
Thanks, Dan

Your incubator doesn't have a way to add water without opening it? I have a home made incubator but if I have to add water after lockdown I just use a syringe to add water through one of the holes I've poked in it. Not as quick as opening the lid and pouring it in but it keeps my humidity steady.

No, there is holes in the incubator but it will just spill back out because there is a catch container on the bottom but the top holes don't lead to that.
sad.png

Try not to open the lid at all after they start to pip if you can help it. It's more important after they pip than any other time until they hatch. From what I understand, after chicks start to hatch, their own moisture adds to the humidity inside so that should help.

Humidity question during lockdown....I locked down on Day 18 after filling troughs in Little Giant and adding a wet washcloth in shallow dish. It's day 20, I hear chirping, and I just noticed the troughs are dry...washcloth still saturated. Do you think my humidity is ok?

Back
Top Bottom