Farm Innovators 2400 Incubator Seeking Mentor

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi
Hi,
My friend borrowed me his incubator, I am having difficulty finding any information on the internet on how to use an incubator, mind you I have never used one before. I also tried to find a manual online with no luck. I am seeking someone who has this type of incubator and would have some time to help me step by step with learning how to use the incubator. My friend tried to hatch 96 eggs and only got 3 chicks he said they stopped developing at approx. 15 days, he felt there was a humidity problem. I don't even know where the water goes so If you have a bit of time and would like to help a total newbie I would truly appreciate it.
Thank you,
Crazyfeathers

I have a farm innovators 4200. I highly recommend the dry incubation method. there is a link in my signature about it.
here is the short version:

day 1-18: 25-45%
add no water; the eggs evaporation will create humidity naturally. remove red vent plugs.
day 19-21: 55-65%
add water to increase humidity on day 19. can be using the water well in the bottom, or a sponge in a dish.

temperature -
forced air (fan): 99.5F
still air (no fan): 101F

please do not rely on the built-in thermometer and hygrometer; it is well known that they can be off by as much as 10 degrees. fluctuation of even 1 degree can throw off your hatch. it is important to have reliable, calibrated equipment for success.

I've never met anyone here that minds if someone needs help and asks questions.
Here's a little bit of reading to get you started. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hing-eggs-important-topic-index-please-review

I have no idea what model it was, assuming it was the 2100 I had 20 years ago or so. One thing I can comment on is it would spike. This means that you get it running good and dialed in at 99.5. For no rhyme or reason they jump to a high temp and kill the eggs inside. Mine would jump to 104, but like I said that was 20 years ago. Today from what I have read here they jump 2 degrees. It's important to not try and adjust the temp after it's set. Many folks would want to turn it down when it climbs up. say it goes to 101.5 then you turn it back down to 99.5, ti will actually fall to 97.5. Eventually you kill the chicks in the eggs because it gets so out of whack. Once it's set to 99.5 and holding just put the eggs in and don't touch the thermostat again. Make sure the room stays at a consistent temperature and block any windows as sunlight will make it rise as well. I've never done a dry incubation method so have no idea about that.
Good luck.

Wow Bugflipper now I am totally confused lol. I read the link you sent about humidity. I have a Farm Innovators 4200 incubator.
1. Day 1-18 humidity 40-50 Day 18-21 60-70%? The link I read had anywhere from 30 to 50% so now I am unsure.
2. Vent plugs - some say only remove the vent plugs if the humidity gets too high or the windows fog up, others say keep 1 out for day 1-18 and take both out 18-21?
I understand that people find what works and stick to it and I am sure there is more than one way to hatch a chick, there has to be variables.
If anyone could clarify the humidity issue as well as the plugs that would be wonderful..
thank you

It seems like the humidity control with those is to fill the middle deal in the center with water for the 18 days. Then there are two more long narrow troughs one on each side of that, fill them for the last 3 days while keeping the middle one filled as well. That should give the correct water level to get the humidity. It should be really close to 50% with the center trough filled up. Then 65% with the center trough and the 2 smaller troughs all filled up, just guessing is that is what my similar GQF styrofoam one does.

The closest one i have to this model is a GQF 1588. It's the same basic setup besides there is a permanent hole for the fan that has no plug. The instructions on yours says to leave one plug out for the fan. Leave the other in the whole time unless condensation forms on the window then pull the second plug. I wish I could see signatures because I am betting Viola has some good info with that dry incubating. Oh well, can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess.

Thanks for clearing up this issue. I have 6 eggs in the bator, since it is my first hatch I didn't want to try to many eggs in case I fail. My humidity is at 50 and my temp is at 102, should I reduce the heat? I read heat should be 95 degrees and up to 102, confusing... thank you

there are 2 schools of thought, dry vs wet incubation. I highly recommend the dry incubation method, I have had the best hatch rates using this method, but it is completely your choice which method to use. there is a link in my signature about it if you want to read more.

here is the short version for dry incubation:

day 1-18: 25-45%
add no water; the eggs evaporation will create humidity naturally. remove red vent plugs.
day 19-21: 55-65%
add water to increase humidity on day 19. can be using the water well in the bottom, or a sponge in a dish.

temperature -
forced air (fan): 99.5F
still air (no fan): 101F

Back
Top Bottom