Duck pond problem

Rstu

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 9, 2013
So, after a unique series of events (in the street) I ended up with two ducks (muscovies.) We have 7 chickens, which is surrounded by wet, muddy field. The ducks gave a small washtub that they can bathe in. We weren't prepared for the ducks and have no permanent solution for a pond. If we dug a hole it would fill up with water, but the water would turn green and terrible because the water doesn't change, it's basically stagnant. I'm not sure what to do, they obviously want to swim, they are digging holes in the mud and splashing in the puddle they'd make. Any help on a permanent solution would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yep, a kiddy pool will do. Honestly, in some ways it's easier.. i also use troughs here for mine and the bottom of old sandboxes will work too.

welcome-byc.gif

I wanted something more substantial. My ducks have lived a troubled life and they've never swum in a big pond before. Their original owner neglected them, and one winters night they escaped and I found them in the street. I just want them to be happy, and a kiddy pool is not much bigger than what I have now.

Well then you might have to fit the bill and invest in a landscape overhaul.....Ive seen set ups with the nice dug in landscape ponds, a filtration system etc....

We have a large pond in our pasture that I WAS planning on letting our ducks have free run of...but im concerned of major polution problems, with the horses and now ducks....I was just chatting with my husband about how we can drain it once or twice a year, water the pasture/hay field and how it would fill back up again...

I could please use some help. We have a three acre pond and my eight Cayugas (6mos old)were doing great getting use to the open water when I think a passing underwater beaver scared the feathers out of them. Now they have no interest AT ALL going back in the pond. Any help with how to get them to feel more at home in the water would be greatly appreciated.Thank You.

I could please use some help. We have a three acre pond and my eight Cayugas (6mos old)were doing great getting use to the open water when I think a passing underwater beaver scared the feathers out of them. Now they have no interest AT ALL going back in the pond. Any help with how to get them to feel more at home in the water would be greatly appreciated.Thank You.
First of all Welcome to BYC, and are you sure it was a beaver and not a snapping turtle? snappers are awful with water fowl biting of parts of feet and legs and also eating ducklings, once you have determined exactly what scared them then about all you can do is give them time, but I doubt you'll get them back in if it was a snapper unless you rid the pond of them. You may have to wade out into the pond and try coaxing them back in once you feel it is safe for them.

I'm more then sure it was a beaver. I called the previous owner and he had never seen turtles, of course that's not to say it's not possible. I will try to wade in that's a great idea. Thank you.

I'm more then sure it was a beaver. I called the previous owner and he had never seen turtles, of course that's not to say it's not possible. I will try to wade in that's a great idea. Thank you.
if snappers I would get some rope, tomato stakes, hooks and tough meat. Set them out at the evening and check them the next morning. If you get any snappers, dispatch them with a sharp hatchet or .22 rifle, clean them and have turtle stew or fried turtle! Trust me it tastes GOOD!!! This would make the pond safer for the ducks and provide a tasty meal for you.
If a beaver sneak up to the pond with a .22 rifle and wait for the beaver to come and shoot. Then skin it out, salt the hide and sell it.
Try reintroducing them to water starting with a kiddie pool, then see if that helps, or coax them in by wading in or with floating treats.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom