HELP!! Wild Canada Goose nest!

BirdyGirl7198

Songster
8 Years
Nov 14, 2011
Lethbridge
A pair of wild Canada geese have decided to nest on a silage pile on our property. We have no say in what goes on in the silage pile as someone else owns it and they've rented it out to our neighbours.

This wouldn't be a problem if the people renting the silage pile hadn't been removing the silage every few days and the nest Is right on the edge of it. The next time people remove silage, the nest will be destroyed.
We looked up a rehabilitation centre and all they would do is spray the eggs in oil, killing the goslings.
We've moved the nest somewhere safe, but it's about 75 feet away and I don't think she will find it..
I am able to incubate the eggs but I don't know how long I should wait before deciding to take them.. She hasn't even noticed them yet. It's late April in Canada, so it's still pretty chilly and I'm worried that waiting too long will destroy their chances of survival.. Please help me. I hate taking them away but I really see no other option to save them. :'(

A pair of wild Canada geese have decided to nest on a silage pile on our property. We have no say in what goes on in the silage pile as someone else owns it and they've rented it out to our neighbours.

This wouldn't be a problem if the people renting the silage pile hadn't been removing the silage every few days and the nest Is right on the edge of it. The next time people remove silage, the nest will be destroyed.
We looked up a rehabilitation centre and all they would do is spray the eggs in oil, killing the goslings.
We've moved the nest somewhere safe, but it's about 75 feet away and I don't think she will find it..
I am able to incubate the eggs but I don't know how long I should wait before deciding to take them.. She hasn't even noticed them yet. It's late April in Canada, so it's still pretty chilly and I'm worried that waiting too long will destroy their chances of survival.. Please help me. I hate taking them away but I really see no other option to save them. :'(

I believe there is a pretty small window before the chicks/eggs will die if they are not kept warm. I have never incubated eggs but I thought it was just a matter of a couple of hours?

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Since they've already been incubated for about 4 days (not completely sure), I knew that I couldn't leave them for very long outside. After two hours, she acted as if she didn't even notice the eggs were gone and say on the nest (the wrong nest). We even tried to play gosling sounds near the eggs to see if that would get her over there.. We tried everything we could, but poor mama and papa goose just didn't understand. We ended up removing the eggs and I, somehow, made space in my already full incubator. Please she some prayers for these little goslings and their parents!
The silly geese look like they're going to try to nest in the same spot again! This is frustrating.

The question you face now is what you are going to do if they do hatch successfully - are your intentions to try to re-introduce them to their parent birds in the hopes they will accept and raise them or are you intending to raise them on your own? Both are problematic, though for different reasons. The former has a minimal chance of success and the latter leaves you with a flock of goslings that will not learn to be "wild" geese because they do not have parents to teach them. Even the most basic "wild" skills - migration for example, when to leave routes to take, etc - are beyond the scope of the average well-intentioned "rescuer" (these challenges are why the rescue center's response was what it was). If you are unable to raise them to be successful wild birds you face the complication of having "wildlife" in the possession of a private citizen - are you versed in the regulations of your nation/province with regards to this?

I've had wild Canada goslings before. Last summer there were two goslings stuck in our dugout and the parents were nowhere to be seen. I waited a few hours but the parents didn't return. The goslings were getting tired and started to drown and we're being pulled under the water by fish.
I raised them successfully (with the help of my duck). I taught them how to fly and they joined a wild flock of geese when it was time to migrate. They have just recently returned from their migration, which was very rewarding to see.
I have no intention to keep them as domesticated geese, they will rejoin wild flocks. I keep human interaction to a minimal and let my ducks teach them how to forage and how to defend themselves from predators (aka my dogs -.-).
I know from experience that it can be done, but I'd much prefer it be left to the parents. Unfortunately.. Their parents were unaware of the dangers they created by nesting on that silage pile.

I've had wild Canada goslings before. Last summer there were two goslings stuck in our dugout and the parents were nowhere to be seen. I waited a few hours but the parents didn't return. The goslings were getting tired and started to drown and we're being pulled under the water by fish.
I raised them successfully (with the help of my duck). I taught them how to fly and they joined a wild flock of geese when it was time to migrate. They have just recently returned from their migration, which was very rewarding to see.
I have no intention to keep them as domesticated geese, they will rejoin wild flocks. I keep human interaction to a minimal and let my ducks teach them how to forage and how to defend themselves from predators (aka my dogs -.-).
I know from experience that it can be done, but I'd much prefer it be left to the parents. Unfortunately.. Their parents were unaware of the dangers they created by nesting on that silage pile.

Fabulous - as someone who has previously (eta - previously only due to having moved to a new state and not having had time to go through the process for my current locale, not due to having my credentials revoked or anything) been a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and also worked with different rehab individuals and groups I always hesitate when mention of intervention is made as the very best of intentions can lead to disasterous outcomes form the very animals that someone is trying to help.....which is often the reason that intervention is not made by the same organizations/rehabbers because the long-term consequences make the joy of a successful short-term "save" a moot point.

Last edited:
Fabulous - as someone who has previously (eta - previously only due to having moved to a new state and not having had time to go through the process for my current locale, not due to having my credentials revoked or anything) been a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and also worked with different rehab individuals and groups I always hesitate when mention of intervention is made as the very best of intentions can lead to disasterous outcomes form the very animals that someone is trying to help.....which is often the reason that intervention is not made by the same organizations/rehabbers because the long-term consequences make the joy of a successful short-term "save" a moot point.

I know that I'll have many critics when it came to my choice of dealing with the situation, but I know that they can be saved. I don't plan on letting them die because of some careless farmers, and a wildlife "rehab" centre that only plans on killing them.
They deserve a chance. And if it comes to it, and they can't seem to figure out how to survive on their own, I'll get a permit so that I can keep them in my care. Here they have access to 100 acres of land and a large pond with plenary of food. No matter the results of this, they'll be able to live a happy life and that's worth it to me.

I know that I'll have many critics when it came to my choice of dealing with the situation, but I know that they can be saved. I don't plan on letting them die because of some careless farmers, and a wildlife "rehab" centre that only plans on killing them.
They deserve a chance. And if it comes to it, and they can't seem to figure out how to survive on their own, I'll get a permit so that I can keep them in my care. Here they have access to 100 acres of land and a large pond with plenary of food. No matter the results of this, they'll be able to live a happy life and that's worth it to me.
No criticizing from here - because you HAVE thought it out and DO have the appropriate means and alternate paths already in place.

No criticizing from here - because you HAVE thought it out and DO have the appropriate means and alternate paths already in place.

Ah, I'm sorry. I just misunderstood. I thought it was a sarcastic "fabulous" :p
Thank you for your support though, I've already had quite a few critical and rude remarks and I'm just feeling a bit defensive..

Ah, I'm sorry. I just misunderstood. I thought it was a sarcastic "fabulous" :p
Thank you for your support though, I've already had quite a few critical and rude remarks and I'm just feeling a bit defensive..

Sorry for the misunderstanding - I do see how it could be read that way. I understand feeling defensive -- been there.

Back
Top Bottom