What Type Of Chicken Breed Should I Get?

AngelUnknown

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Oxford, Michigan
I'm moving to a new house soon and I am getting chickens as soon as i get there. I am probably going to incubate eggs but im reconsidering buying chicks. Which one? Oh and i need some ideas for breeds of chickens. Send me some pics of breeds and tell me a little about them. Maybe i could even use some pics of incubaters and brooders too! Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Well, what are you looking for in a chicken? A good layer? Chickens to put in the freezer? Bantams or standard? A small, active chicken, or a larger, more docile chicken? How much space do you have and how big will the coop be?

I dont have that much space for a big coop so about a meduim sized coop. Im looking for an egg-layer and i am getting 3 hens. It doesnt matter if they are big or small. But they have to be friendly. Whats your suggestion on getting chicks or hatching eggs?

Well, for someone new to chickens, I would suggest on buying chicks. IMO, there is just too much that can go wrong in an incubator that can ultimately lead to the death of the embryos. If you purchase chicks from a hatchery, you know what gender they are. When hatching, you could end up with all roosters, all pullets, or a mix of both. You don't really know what you're going to get.

I dont have that much space for a big coop so about a meduim sized coop. Im looking for an egg-layer and i am getting 3 hens. It doesnt matter if they are big or small. But they have to be friendly. Whats your suggestion on getting chicks or hatching eggs?
I have not personally owned this breed, but I have heard from several people that Buff Orpingtons are very docile and very friendly. Out of the breeds that I have had, Barred Rocks are the friendliest. Mine will follow me around, sit in my lap, and eat out of hand. Both breeds are pretty good layers. Those are my suggestions, but there a ton of different breeds out there to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom