barred roo over splash hen? what will i get?

chickydoos

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2013
missouri
I am getting two araucana this weekend. One is a barred araucana rooster. And the other is a double tufted splash araucana hen. Both are rumpless. Can anyone tell me what I would get crossing these two?

I also have the option of getting the blue hen (in the pic with the roos) wondering what I would get with either one of the Hens with the barred roo. If anybody could tell me I would very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
:)

Barred male x blue female will give 50% blue barred and 50% black barred. Barred male x splash female will give all blue barred offspring. I am assuming the male is black barred, and not blue barred. Hard to tell from the picture.

Barred male x blue female will give 50% blue barred and 50% black barred. Barred male x splash female will give all blue barred offspring. I am assuming the male is black barred, and not blue barred. Hard to tell from the picture.

Thank you for the info! If he was blue barred what would I get?

Then you'd go by the usual blue/black/splash percentages. Blue barred male x blue female would give 25% barred, 50% blue barred, 25% splash barred. Blue barred male x splash female would give 50% blue barred and 50% splash barred. I have never seen a splash barred but I would guess it would be a mostly white bird with splotches of barring.

Hmm very interesting. Genetics is not my specialty but I am definetly trying to learn... How would I know if this roo is blue barred or black barred? I am trying to upload another pic the guy sent me to see if maybe u can identify him.

Barred male x blue female will give 50% blue barred and 50% black barred. Barred male x splash female will give all blue barred offspring. I am assuming the male is black barred, and not blue barred. Hard to tell from the picture.

It's also hard to tell if the barred roo is homozygous for barring. If not, then you'll only get 50% barred, so it will work out sort of like this with the blue hen:
25% blue barred
25% blue (non-barred)
25% black barred
25% black

with the splash hen, it would be 50% blue barred and 50% blue.

Back
Top Bottom