Introducing chicks to chicks?

Farias1124

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Roy, Washington
Hi all,

I've got (6) 6 week old hens (2 RIR, 2 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 White Silkie) that will be going outside in the next week or so. I've also got a 2 week old Barred Rock rooster (my first) and a 2 week old Blue Langshan hen.

Currently the 6 older girls are in a separate brooder than the young man and his little lady. There is a big size difference between the two groups right now. I've read and read and read some more on introducing new hens into a flock, new rooster into a flock and new chicks into a flock but nothing about two young groups. I already notice the pecking order in the group of girls, which surprisingly the Silkie is #1 and only half the size of the other girls. It's pretty funny watching her run the big girls around. The roo and his gal get along flawlessly and I don't see any order set in yet. My question is how do I go about introducing the two groups?

I know the roo isn't old enough to have the hormones needed to let the gals know whose boss but will he keep the Langshan safe since they have grown up together if there are any problems? Will the two younger ones stick together for support? Do I need to wait until they are all comparable in size to be introduced at this young of age?

I've got a million more questions but I figure I'll start here. Any advice or direction is very appreciated.

Brian

With immature chickens it is easier to inter grate the adults. There should be no problems with the four week age difference once the younger ones are out of the brooder if you have enough room, hiding places and things to break the lines of sight when you put the younger chicks in with the old. Still having them in a separate area, cage, where they can see each other for a day or two wouldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom