fencing options?

ajhunt2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
So we are relocating the coop into the "tack room" of a barn. The inside part will be roughly 10x5. Attached to the outide will be the run. Just trying to figure out what to use.

We have the girls in a run with chain link panels right now. Been in there about a week, no signs of any critters getting in, no chickens getting out. Of course they are 3 yrs old and won't fit through the holes. My parents have some chain link (minus post) from an old dog pen they are going to give me to make the new run.

The other option is the hoop looking runs out of the hog panels/welded wire/whatever you call it. The little section that is fenced in next to the barn is already made of these so wouldn't really have to go out and buy them. But I imagine this would need to be lined with something to make the holes smaller as I think it would be VERY easy for a coon or possum to get in there with that.

Looking for suggestions. Looking to try and keep this as cheap as possible, but still secure.

Only way it will be secure is if you cover every opening with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and use screws and fender washers to secure it.
Cheap does not come out to equal secure!!
Hardware cloth is not cheap but will be worth it in the end.

David

I understand we will have to buy some supplies. Just trying to figure out the way that cost us less.

Chain link fence post, AND hardware cloth.

Or

reuse hog panels and purchase lumber for frame and hardware cloth.

I think putting hardware cloth over chain link is a waste of the use of the chain link. You could use the chain link for your run and just use the hardware cloth to make your coop secure at night.

David

I opted for a chain link dog kennel with a solid roof and hardware cloth around the bottom to keep heads in and paws out, a raccoon will reach through and pull whatever it gets a hold of right through, unless you want headless chickens I would use the hardware cloth.

I opted for a chain link dog kennel with a solid roof and hardware cloth around the bottom to keep heads in and paws out, a raccoon will reach through and pull whatever it gets a hold of right through, unless you want headless chickens I would use the hardware cloth.

Just to clarify:

I was going on the premise the birds would be locked up in the coop at night and only access the run during daylight hours. Otherwise, yes line the chain link with hardware cloth!

David

Great tips. I used chicken wire on the 'windows' of my coop. About 6 feet off the ground, windows are about 8 inches high by 16 wide. All my larger doors and access spaces are hardware cloth, as is the run. Think I should switch out the chicken wire in the smaller spaces ?

Back
Top Bottom